(1) dreams

Sky

I wake up suddenly, Sweat dripping down my face. I was there, again. This horrible, terrible nightmare.

I am in a forest, and the grass around me is charred and destroyed. The trees are bare, the branches and leaves now ash on the floor. I walk forward, examining the remains, and embers still grasping for life underfoot. There are no birds, no animals. Just black soot and decaying trees. However, although I can see something above, which looks like the sky, there is no light. Just the small embers flickering, dieing, dissapereing. I have no option but to walk forward, and take in my disgusting surroundings. But, although the burnt gravel path that I can just make out beneath the black grass and charred leaves is leading me somewhere, I can't see anything more than more destruction ahead. Everything's black, the only difference, the small, cowardly embers burrowed in the path. I try to stop walking, to turn around, to escape this bleak, lifeless place, only to fail. My legs won't move. They just stop, and walk forward, stop, and walk forward. I panic, trying to beak free, trying to stop. But it is useless, everything I try is just that, useless. But I must try to stop, to do what I want to do.

"You've meet a terrible fate, haven't you?"

The voice slivers into my head like a snake, it's velvet tone nothing more than a whisper in the empty landscape. I try to turn, to see who is there, but my head won't move. I can just see two gloved hands holding the side of my face, forcing me to look onward.

"Shhhhhh, it's all going to be ok.." It whispers, hot breath tickling the back of my neck. Tears stream down my face then. I'm scaired, I'm hungery, and I'm lost. Also, now there's a weirdo behind me! I just want to run, to get away, but I'm trapped, like a statue with a black backround. But I have more to worry about than him behind me now, as just ahead I can see eyes. Big, red, eyes. They look like dog eyes, but then the dog must be as tall as me. They hungrily stare me down, looking like a beast, stalking its prey.

"Don't worry, little one. My pet's just hungry, but that's ok. You'll help me, won't you?" His voice flows into my ear, it's tone tempting and persuading. Then, It clicks. I feel numb, and empty but I'm no longer scared, no longer frightened. I can't even remember why I was fightend. Everything's fuzzy. This mans nice, I think to my self. He wouldn't hurt me. He just wants me to help, that's all. "Yes, I'll help" I say, my words dreamy in my fogy mind. I can't focus on anything, but that's all alright. It feels good to help this man, right almost. I walk forward, my body doing it on its own. Yes, everything's ok, I think, everything's fine if I just keep on walking forward. So I walk, closer, and closer to the beast, it's eyes laughing at my stupidity. But I do not see this. I do not see what is happening. I just know I must walk forward, towards the 'pet'. Towards it's open mouth. Towards its teeth...

Then I'm here, clutching my skinny legs and rocking back and forward in my bed. I'm crying now, terrified of that dream. I must remember that's that all it is, a dream. But for now, I just cry, in the silver gleam the moon projects through my bedroom window.