two - kairi

wow, that was a strong knock. i’m trying to calm down but the loud knocking keeps going. can’t he wait a minute? i could be taking a shit for all he knows.

“sorry,” i said, walking to open the door. i unlock it and back away from the door. the guy still hasn’t opened it. what the fuck. “it’s open, man.” I raise my voice, loud and clear. i can hear a scoff from outside. this guy seems annoying. i see the door open so start washing my hands to act like i was doing something before. i clearly wasn’t.

i hear the guy walk in, i look over my shoulder to greet him and to probably apologize again--

i freeze, it's mattia. no, no, no. i looked longer than I was supposed to. he probably thinks i'm weird now.

"Scuse me," he said reaching over me to get a paper towel. he seemed pissed off. his hoodie had... a bunch of flour of it. it wasn't that noticeable with his gray hoodie but still.

"dumb bitch... she thinks it's funny-" he was murmuring while furiously wiping the flour away. he turned around and even more flour was on the back.

"there's more on the back," i spoke up, my voice sounded scratchy. mattia looked towards slightly surprised. it's almost like he forgot i was here. "shit, where at?" he turned to reach around to wipe it off. i had to hold in a laugh because of how much he missed.

i grabbed a paper towel and a motionless mattia looked at me.

"can you turn around?"

"why?" he furrowed his eyebrows.

"i'm going to help get the flour off on the back," i said. this is how straight guys help out their peers, right? mattia made a "hm" sound as he turned around, still wiping some of the fronts. i start at his shoulders and a bunch of flour flies off then i go lower and lower-

"did you get it all yet? thanks, by the way." mattia asks, running a hand through his hair. i watch then look away. why was that attractive? "yeah, pretty much. no problem." i take the paper towel from mattia's hand and throw them out.

"i know you right? you're that kairi kid," he asks in a tone i can't describe. "yeah, that's me. you're mattia, right?"

i know it's him, i just want this conversation to keep going. this is most he has ever talked to me. i'm going to make it last.

"yeah, we talked during sophomore year, though. i think you got taller." he chuckles, knowing i didn't. "low blow, man. low blow." i replied, smiling. i taking out my phone to text kayla about this. i can't contain these feelings in my stomach without telling her.

me: KAYLA IM FIVKING
I AM DYING I CANT I SJSJKSIE

from: kay kay 🍒💕
OMG KAI WHAT ARE YOU OKAY
DO I NEED TO COME GET YOU ???

me: IM TALKINGNTO MATTIA

from: kay kay 🍒💕
... anyways what's actually wrong

me: KAYLA SANCHEZ ISTFG IF YOU DONT LISSTEN TO ME IM TALKINNTO MATTUA AND IM FFRRAKINGN OUT

from: kay kay 🍒💕
WAIT REALLY?
omg mattua 🙈💖😳😳

me: STFU

"why are you typing so fast?" he asked, leaning over to see. i put my phone to my chest in an instant and shake my head. "my friend just sent me something and we're both fast typers. it's, uh, just that." I said, wide-eyed and unconvincing. i can tell he didn't believe me but he didn't push it. thank god.

"alright, see you kairi." he smiled slightly as he walked out the bathroom. as soon as he left i exhaled. i didn't even notice i wasn't breathing. my heart is just starting to calm when kayla finally replied.

from: kay kay 🍒💕
youre so fucked come back to class
I need to tell you about some drama in person

oh? what happened now. another girl (or boy) i need to worry about?

me: okay see you there can you give some detail tho?

from: kay kay 💕🍒
nah.
just come.

me: bet

i look at myself in the mirror. my face is shaded all types of pink. i almost feel the need to eye-roll at my own reflection. 'you're not supposed to be affected by someone like this.' i wish i could make myself believe that. what's so speical about mattia anyways? he has a nice face, yeah. and he's taller than me. he's funny. but i don't really know him that well. i don't know him apart from his tiktok videos and that one, only one talk from sophomore year to judge from.

i can feel kayla's impatience from halls away. i have to think about her, not about my feelings right now. i leave the bathroom and walk down the halls to my classroom again...

i open the door and heads turn my way only to turn back. this happens alot. kayla seems upset as she turns her phone off. i feel the worry rise in my chest as i sit down. "what's wrong?" i asked, voice wavering slightly. kayla huffs before starting her rant. "you know makayla? mattia's ex--"

"how many ex's does mattia have?" i wondered out loud.

"first, jennie. then jenny with a y, delina, and--"

"what the fuck." how does kayla know all of this? does everything around here spread fast?

"yeah but anyways, mari has beef with her now. and that's mattia's ex so he probably heard about it. we're friends with mari so... he could have heard shit about us through makayla. fuck that bitch for having my name." she puts her head down on the desk, groaning.

"i think that's a strech, kayla. makayla and mattia are ex's. they wouldn't talk to eachother." i reply to calmly, knowing she can talk stuff the wrong way. "besides, we need to help mari with the drama. let's not worry bout mattia, okay?" i hope what i said made her less anxious.

"yeah but they talk, kairi. they're still friends! but you're right about mari. we really need to help her. she can't--"

RINGGGGGGGGGG!

kayla pressed her lips together and breathes. "god, damn. okay. i'll-- i'll text you, kai. have fun working with my hubby." she giggled as i made a face. "bye, bro." she walks out without letting me reply. i grab my bookbag as i start heading out. i have to meet alvaro at the front so we can go to his house and work on the project...