Chapter 3- The Priceless Moments

Drishti woke up the next morning morning to find Rakshit sleeping in the same position when she had held his hand. He hadn't tried to get up, for he feared her sleep might get disturbed. Drishti realized when she looked around that she was not on the couch and instead she was sleeping on the bed. But how did I end up here? I was sleeping on the couch. She thought to herself. She had a hunch about what might have happened, for it was the last thing she had wanted to happen. She tried getting up from the bed quietly trying not to disturb Rakshit, but Rakshit being Rakshit woke up at the slightest movement caused by her. She felt a bit guilty for waking him up. She smiled at him awkwardly.
"Kya hua tum theek toh ho na? Phirr se koi bura Sapna toh nahi dekha na."
The concern in his voice was quite evident, but Drishti had no time to notice all this, for what he said had already made her got to another world altogether. Oh God! Not again! Did I have one of those old nightmares all over again? Did he hear me blabber? Oh no! what will I do now?
"Woh actually main....." But before she could complete her sentence Rakshit interrupted, "Woh Kal raat ko tum bahut zyaada dari hui thi isliye maine hi tumhein bed pe shift kiya tha. Aur haan! Aaj se tum bed par hi sona, main koi risk nahi lena chahata." To a third person, the concern and care in Rakshit's voice would have been visible, but for Drishti in that moment, she felt he was the same typical dominating husband she hated so much. She went to the bathroom to freshen herself up, this new day was again full of rituals to be fulfilled.
*****************
Rakshit and Drishti came down to the living room to find the rest of the family already waiting for them. Drishti was wearing a yellow saree, and she looked very pretty. Rakshit was himself dumbfounded for a while. Everyone smiled at the newly-wedded couple as they came down. Mahima held Drishti by her shoulders when she was about to touch her feet, she cupped her cheeks and said, "Betiyaan pair nahi chhooti!! Aaj tumhari pehli rasoi ka rasam hai toh chalo, chalte hai kitchen main. Tum apni pasand ka khaana bana sakti ho hum sabke liye" But little did Mahima know that she didn't know even how to make her own favourite food. It was time for getting embarrassed again after the Gruhpravesh incident. Drishti's mom had tried to train her in the art of cooking before she got married, since everything was done in such a haste that she couldn't learn anything properly. She went with Mahima to the kitchen, Divya also joined them. She was so excited to see her Bhabhi cook. As soon as they entered the kitchen, Mahima stopped Divya and looking at Drishti said,"Ab yeh pura kitchen tum use kar sakti ho. Hum mein se koi bhi tumhein pareshaan nahi karega. Tum fursat se apna kaam karna. All the best beta!"
"All the best Bhabhi!"
Drishti couldn't reply anything, she just smiled at them. What else she could do, she had no idea what she is going to do in the kitchen.
********************
It's been already half an hour. The entire kitchen was in a mess. That's when he entered. Rakshit had come to have a glass of water, but seeing the state of Drishti and the kitchen he realized one thing that, if he did not intervene now, everyone would starve without breakfast. He went near her and tapped on her shoulder and asked her, "Yeh Tum kya kar rahi ho?" He pointed out to her hair dipped in aata and the aata on her face. "Woh main roti bana rahi thi na, toh lag gaya." But seeing the mould of aata Rakshit realized one thing, she was the most inexperienced person in the kitchen, for the kitchen looked like a war had been waged on it. "Tum side hato main karta hu yeh sab!"
"Nahi nahi .. aap kyu karenge yeh sab main karti hoon na."
"Dekh liya kitna kar logi. Jao wahan se apron le aao."
Drishti did as she was instructed to do. From that moment onwards, she tailed behind Rakshit seeing him cook the food like it's an everyday job for him. His roti were perfect circle, like the one you make with a compass. Drishti was amazed at him and moreover on the fact that he had truly been a saviour today. A Rakshak.
His aloo ki sabzi did not even go to a dark black shade, that hers had went into, when she had tried to cook the last time. She was feeling embarrassed that being a girl, she had no idea how to cook. Rakshit then moved to make the kheer. When everything was finally done, Rakshit looked at Drishti, and sensing her embarrassment he said to her, Woh actually Mujhe hostel main nahi rehna that toh college days mein house rent pe lekar rehte the. Wahaan cooking ki bahut sakht zaroorat thi, toh seekh liya. Aur waise bhi tumhein cooking nahi aata ismein koi badi baat nahi. Divya aur Rashi ko toh stove on karna bhi nahi aata. Waise baahar kisi ko batane ki zaroorat nahi hai ki yeh sab maine kiya hai." To say she was shocked was the least, she was wondering how can someone be so sweet. "Waise Maine yeh sab tumhare liye nahi kiya hai. Apne gharwalo ke liye. Main nahi chahta tha ki woh log bhooke rahe."
She smiled at this. He was so like her. Trying so hard to hide his true face of being sweet and caring behind the mask of the arrogant, akdu person. He was very unsuccessful in hiding the sweet and caring nature of his. She smiled, a smile that did not go unnoticed by Rakshit, he looked at her with a raised eyebrow and asked,"Tum hass kyu rahi ho? Maine kya koi joke bola hai?"
"Nahi woh Mujhe kuch yaad aa gaya tha."
"Kya yaad aa gaya tha."
"Kuch nahi!" She smiled at him. But both were unknown to the fact that someone was watching them from the kitchen door. Divya had come looking for her Bhabhi, to help her out, but when she saw the help had already been provided, she went away quietly smiling to herself.
*************
"Drishti beta khaana toh bahut achcha banaya hai tumne." Mahima praised Drishti after having the food which was supposedly cooked by her. She was about to tell everyone that she hadn't cooked the food, when Rakshit held her hand under the table and nodded his head negatively in reply to what she was about to do. But Drishti couldn't have said anything for his touch had numbed every senses in her body. His touch. Why does it make the butterflies in my stomach.
"Agli rasam pag phere ki hai, jiske liye tum dono ko Drishti ke Ghar Jaana hoga. Toh beta tum jaake taiyari kar lo."
After having breakfast Rakshit was talking to someone from the office when his mom came to him. She smiled at him and ruffled his hair and said,"Khaana tune kaafi achcha banaya tha.!"
******************
The journey to her home was a peaceful and not so eventful one as Drishti had slept all the way. The night before due to the nightmare she could not sleep properly. All Rakshit could do was admire his sleeping beauty. She looked so adorable, so cute. They were welcomed to the home traditionally, when Simran came running to them screaming, "Shikhar bhai aapse baat karna chahte hai jiju."
But before Rakshit could take the phone Drishti snatched the phone from her and ran down to the lawn.
Everybody laughed at his shocked expression. Rakshit slowly followed Drishti to the lawn to see her talking to Shikhar animatedly. She seemed to be so expressive, not at like how he had seen her for the past 24 hours.
A thought suddenly struck him. Was she always like this with everyone, or is it just me. She seems to be so comfortable with Shikhar. What was her actual self ? Will he get the answers ever.
**************"
Hello beautiful peeps!! How you all doing?? Sorry for making you all wait!! Was held up with some really important work. I hope I had made Justice to the story. And thank you so much for making me reach 1k reads within such short span of time. You guys are lit🔥🔥 I love you all😘😘😘
With lots of love,
Anu
PS - insta Id is drikshit_shivya_lover