Chapter 01

Karissa Blysse Almaden & Crizteta Fenella Archangel

The strong scent of coffee enveloped my nose as I walked inside Café Valkyrie. I always go here whenever I need to study, hungry or just plain bored. Today, I am here because I'm too lazy to cook myself some decent meal. The café is surprisingly deserted, it is usually packed by students who studies and pass time here. Looks like everyone is busy tonight. As I put down my things on my favourite spot, the table next to the grand piano, I noticed the absence of its homey ambience. Its lively atmosphere is replaced by an odd one and it's strangely quite inside.

I sauntered towards the empty counter while looking on the menu at the attempt to choose something that could sate my hunger. You see, my goal is to try every beverage and food that they can offer. So, as much as possible I try ordering different sets of food to achieve my goal.

"Good evening, Blysse! What's your order for this evening, Ma'am?"

I was slightly taken aback by the sudden appearance of Fenella, my friend waitress. She was laughing at my reaction as I greeted her back. I sticked out my tongue and made faces in front of her in order to mask my embarrassment.

"Tuna pesto with additional garlic bread, a slice of cinnamon cake roll, grapefruit cocktail, and your time, please." I pleadingly eyed her.

Fenella repeated my order and after punching it, she gave me the receipt then whispered...

"Ano na namang problema, B? Try ko mag paalam kay manager, wait lang."

She proceeded in preparing my order, while I returned to my seat. A few minutes later, she arrived at my table carrying the tray that has my food.

"D ako pinayagan, B. Hintayin mo na lang out ko? 1 hour na lang naman 9 pm na. Ayos lang?"

"Yup! No problem, Fen."

"Okay, balik na ako sa trabaho." I jokingly saluted at her as she retreated back to the counter.

I busied myself by eating and savoring the food in front of me. Café Valkyrie's menu are one of the best tasting dishes here in Idalia Village, a small town found in the outskirts of Arkin City. Our town is somehow secluded, mainly because we know that we can thrive on our own. Look at our village now, we are flourishing. Buildings and establishments are appearing one after another. Schools, hospitals, malls, restaurants, etc. we have them all. The citizens get what they needed, that's what we love the most.

One of the reasons why we don't want to move in to the city because the politicians in the city is nothing compared to the public servants in our village, they do not do dirty works and are very loyal to their sworn duty. You can hardly experience any kind of violation or hear news about committed crimes here in Idalia Village because every resident of the village obeys the rule and are afraid to breach the taboo. Our village's taboo is sacred that no one dared to mess with it, more over talk about it.

Boredom is eating me up so I decided to search for something that would entertain me for the mean time. My eyes landed on the grand piano beside my table. Usually, every Friday and Sunday, a young girl wearing specs would be here to play the piano. She is so fascinating to watch, especially the way her fingers caressed the keys of the piano, how she elegantly move her hands, and the story she tells us using her music is captivating. It's a Sunday night, so I expect her to play until Fenella's out by 9 pm, I wonder where she is now?

I approached the grand piano, you could tell by the looks of it that it is well taken care. I sat on the stool and ran my fingers on the fall board. I slowly opened it, suddenly a green-colored sticky note fell on the ground. It came inside the key board. When I picked it up, I saw that something was written on it......