Midnight Society

Note: No sexual content.

Under the moon, it was a chilly night. The type of chill to sneak up under your skin and chill your bones. The small party of six gathered at the old abandoned graveyard slightly outside of Wakandan borders where four out of six had voted to hold their monthly story time meeting.

"Happy Halloween," Okoye's mischievous dark eyes flashed in front of the campfire's flame where unmarked graves were illuminated.

"Happy Halloween," the group replied as she looked from face to face. Bright red lipstick was smeared across Okoye's white painted face in a smile. Blue triangles shaded her eyes. Her applied wig was sprayed green and she wore an orange pants suit. Each of the six were dressed in costume and most of them were easy to guess. Baku was Prince the African version in his curly wig, white shoes, purple suit and white blouse. The blouse was new, but he'd already had that purple suit, Okoye noted. Nakia, she was obviously Freddy Kreuger in her striped sweater, hat, brown pants, and bladed gloves. T'Challa however, his costume was unclear. He wore suit and his hair was spray-painted grey. "Who are you supposed to be," Okoye asked.

"My father," he replied, body rigid with pride.

"Tuh," Okoye's sarcasm let out before turning to Erik. "And you are?"

"I'm Rick James, bitch!" His wig read Egyptian to her, but otherwise she couldn't say she knew who that was. "I knew y'all wouldn't get it," his eyes rolled.

"I get it, I've seen the gifs," Eliza smiled as Erik's eyes settled on her.

"I take it you're from a horror movie as well," Okoye asked looking at Eliza's black wig braided into two long pigtails. She wore a conservative black collared dress and black tights with school girl patent leather shoes. "Or a period piece perhaps from Europe or the US."

"The Addams Family. It's a US movie franchise."

Erik smiled.

"Let's start with the story on this graveyard," Baku suggested. "Why here?" It was he and T'Challa who had objected.

"Ah," Okoye smiled drumming on a plastic pumpkin in her lap, she lifted out a handful of fine dust sprinkling it onto the flames. "The story of this graveyard is one that I along with Nakia and T'Challa know very well. It is a place of powerful spiritual activity. Be very careful of what you say here. The dead have been known to be vengeful."

"Umakhulu warned me not to come," Nakia shimmied in gleeful rebellion. "This is the site of the Ugandan massacre that occurred 88 years ago. It was during the ritual of blood and animal sacrifice. The Juju sect had their chickens and cursed medallions with plans to manipulate evil forces in the takedown of the Biju village. But one Juju child alerted his young friend of the Biju and that child spoiled the plans. The Juju was slaughtered mid-ceremony right here.. including the young Juju boy," Nakia spoke unblinking as the camp seemed to hold their breath. "This is blood soaked soil," she whispered deliberately.

"Which is why I did not want to disturb it," T'Challa threw his hand up in irritation.

Okoye kissed her teeth playfully. "Oh calm yourself, we've been respectful. Haven't we, Nakia?"

"No false word has gone forth," she blinked with a sly smirk.

"Well I'm freaked out," Erik shrugged. "I don't typically mess with shit like this, my granny was a Baptist."

"I don't tamper with malevolent spirits either," Baku's lips pursed, expression unimpressed. "This one's a true story," he grinned shining his flashlight onto his round brown face turning it a ghastly pale color. "It was a chilly October night, October 28th. Like today.  Karen Taylor was driving a minivan I think it was.. yeah because she had four children, twin girls and two boys, all under 10."