Chapter 1

You sat in your room, bored out of your mind. You tossed a small rubber ball you had found up in the air and caught it as you lay on your bed. School would be starting again soon, and it was that reminder alone that kept you sane. A small exited buzz filled your chest as you thought about seeing your friends again! A loud clattering from the room next to yours stirred you from your thoughts and roused Soren from her nap. Harry's pet owl, Hedwig, was becoming agitated, likely from being cooped up all summer. Soren was beginning to get frustrated too as she flapped her wings and bit the bars on her cage noisily. You did feel bad for them, not being able to fly must be horrible!

"Harry Potter! (Y/n) Dursley!"

You groaned, and you swore you could hear your cousin Harry do the same in his room!

"Coming Father!" you shouted back, and sprinted out of your room, down the stairs and into the kitchen with Harry right behind you. Your mother was making a beautiful cake when you entered, and you glanced at it hungrily. You knew you wouldn't get any, but you didn't really care. "He's in there, Vernon," she said, barely looking up at you as you and Harry came in. You two nodded and rounded the corner where your father was standing, as large and frog shaped as ever. He was helping your brother adjust his suit, which matched your father's. Vernon looked over at you and Harry with a poorly hidden look of disappointment and disgust, the kind of look that says, oh, it's you, is it? even though the owner of such an ugly face had asked for you to come over. "I'm warning you," he said with an equally disgusted voice, "if you two can't control those bloody birds, they'll have to go!"

"But they're bored!" you said, trying to defend the birds' actions.

"If we could just let them out for an hour or two - " Harry began, but your father cut him off with a snort.

"So you can send secret messages to your freaky little friends? No!"

You winced, maybe if you hadn't told them about Draco, this wouldn't have happened and you and Harry could be writing letters to your friends.

"But we haven't had any messages from any of our friends!" you said, "Not one. All summer."

"Who'd want to be friends with you?" Dudley said, turning around. Anger bubbled inside you and you struggled to keep it down. He slammed his shoulder into Harry's as he passed, and Harry had to grip your arm tightly to keep you from starting a fight. "I should think you'd be a little more grateful," Vernon continued, and you took a deep breath to calm yourself.

"We've raised you, Harry, since you were a baby, given you the food off our table, even let you have Dudley's second bedroom purely out of the goodness of our hearts!"

From behind you, you heard Petunia smack Dudley's hand and say, "Not now, it's for when the Masons arrive!"

Your father's eyes grew wide and he threw his hands in the air. "Which should be in any minute!" he shouted, "Now, lets go over our schedule once again, shall we? Petunia, when the Masons arrive, you will be - ?"

"In the lounge, waiting to welcome them graciously into our home!"

"Good. And Dudley, you will be...?"

"I'll be waiting to open the door!"

"Excellent! And you?" Vernon said to you and Harry, his voice void of all enthusiasm it had held mere seconds ago. "We'll be in our rooms, making no noise and pretending that we don't exist," you two said in unison.

"Too right, you will. With any luck, this could be the day I make the biggest deal of my career, and you will not mess it up!"

You internally rolled your eyes as you turned around and headed upstairs back to your room. The doorbell rung almost as soon as you opened your bedroom door, and you could hear Dudley asking for Mrs. Mason's coat. You flopped onto your bed but sat up almost immediately, as it sounded like someone was in Harry's room that certainly wasn't Harry! "Harry Potter," the voice said, "such an honour it is!"