Chapter Two

Maine's November chill compelled the night with an edgy momentum. Hill had been watching this man for the past two weeks. He hadn't once seen this girl with her teasing eyes and her easy laughter. Amos Garend was a businessman who, at first glance, seemed composed and undisturbed, but after further tailing Hill had managed to uncover what this man was guilty of. That wasn't his job, exactly, but Hill couldn't help but know why he was killing his targets. Of all the long nights spent tracking, the rain never complained about it, so he would continue to do so. It was not in his nature to do anything unwarranted, especially something as fixed as killing.

    He watched the girl twirl her hair and duck her head coyly and was inwardly repulsed by the easy show she put on for Mr. Garend. Hill wasn't falling for any of it. Her presence was an unexpected nuisance. He couldn't begin anything until his target was alone. Patience was a virtue Hill had in generous measure, but the telling sparks on the back of his neck warned him that he didn't have much time before it would rain, and the job would be much more difficult if Mr. Garend was still conscious by then.

    The target in question looked like he might be wary of the girl's antics, his smile polite and his feet turned halfway towards his slightly opened car door. Hill silently begged the man to just dismiss the girl and get into his silver compact. His ears couldn't pick out what her rosy lips were saying at the moment the man's expression changed and he watched as the businessman reached into his expensive-looking briefcase at his side. Hill almost missed the girl's rapid, precise hit at the man's neck and it was all but impossible to restrain himself as he watched his target's eyes slide up and out of sight. Mr. Garend's knees buckled beneath him but there was no sound of a body landing on the concrete, not even the sound of a briefcase or a ring of keys hitting the ground. And yet, there they were—the keys placed smoothly atop the leather case near the left front tire.

    The girl adeptly dragged Mr. Garend away from the lone Acura and towards the stairwell where Hill was hidden away. Curses bubbled up his throat as he crept back from the staircase. He crammed himself down until he blended in with the shadows. Uneasiness began to sit in as he followed them. He watched the way she handled the body down the remaining two flights to the bottom of the parking garage. No one would be able to tell what she was capable of under her dark clothes, but it was safe to assume that she might have done something like this before. The idea produced a bitter taste on Hill's tongue, even though he was guilty of the same thing, and worse.

    He followed noiselessly behind the girl and the unconscious Mr. Garend, though profanities ran endlessly through his mind as he watched them leave through the deserted pedestrian exit and continue along a hidden alley. Another lane met the alley at the back, but the girl stopped before reaching it and Hill tucked himself into a pile of muddy crates. He pulled his black hoodie further down over his pale hair but knew he'd remain unnoticed. Hardly anyone was out tonight because of the dark skies, and though he did figure the girl might be on the lookout considering her actions, Hill wasn't worried.

#

           The rain was almost here, she knew. Not by the smell or humidity, but because it had its own way of telling her. She'd known the minute she'd woken up this morning, and then again from her nap, when sharp tingles peppered the back of her neck, and as soon as Nell had fallen asleep Rho had set off to finish her work. She'd been studying her target for the past few days, alongside Annie Malts, and knew right where to find him.

    It was colder tonight, enough for her to think about wearing a hat before long. Her father's navy jacket, which she'd thrown on at the last minute, was keeping her mostly warm, at least. Besides, the limp body was unpleasantly heavy and she broke a sweat despite the chilly air. Even with his wretched weight, Mr. Garend had been an easy catch compared to previous victims. She remembered them now as she heaved him through the alley.