Chapter One-Alexis

Was it too much to ask to be invisible? To blend into the background? I never asked for the attention. I never wanted it. I didn't need it. I got it anyway. And it wasn't the good kind. I never was popular and I never had any intentions of becoming popular. Go to school, learn, go home; that was the plan. That was the way my school life was supposed to be. But when do things ever go the way it's planned?

My name is Alexis Bay. I'm 17 years old - or, I'm going to be in April, 5"7 with semi fair skin, dark brown hair and eyes that you'll hardly see because I'm usually looking at the floor or my shoes. My brother and I live with our single parent - our mom, Vianna Bay. I like singing. But I love reading. I'll read anything (sometimes) and everything (sometimes). Okay, I might be a little picky when it comes to books. But I love them nonetheless. To me they're my escape; paradise from the world, from people.

Do you ever feel like the world is weighing down on you, pressuring you, constantly watching you and waiting for you to slip up so that it can judge you? Well reading is my escape from it. It keeps my mind busy and it distracts me from all the hurt there is.

Eveyone tries to escape, and usually they can, but the brutal fact is that paradise doesn't last. You can't escape or keep busy or get distracted forever. Sooner or later reality will come back and hit you so hard that you won't have time to breathe or process anything.

People tell you to be yourself, but then they judge you so much and blame it on the fact that you're not normal. Why? Because you're nothing like them, or nothing like they expected or wanted you to be. And when they can't change you to the way they want they taunt you and hurl your feelings into whatever black hole they can find because they follow only one rule; one saying.

"Why the hell should we care? If we don't like you, you're worthless."

They say life gets better with time, you just have to wait. What they don't tell you about is the amount of pain and suffering you go through during your wait, how much you will endure, and how many times you breakdown and put yourself back by yourself. The worst part is that during this wait you won't have anyone beside you because it's your wait. You're on your own. You don't know how much it hurts until you're going through it.

Sometimes the pain is so intense that after a while you become numb; immune to any and all emotion that comes from both you and everyone around you.

You become cold and you don't come back.

My life took a turn for the worst. It started in Hell. . .I mean school. It started in school.

*************************************************************

Like you know, I've never been popular. I was used to the amount of attention I usually got. What unnerved me was the type of attention I was getting. When people watch me they usually look amused and calculating, like they're planning something, or with disgust.

For a week everyone was either giving me a glare filled with pure hatred and anger or an intense look that made me feel seriously self-conscious - and I could hardly care what I look like.

I had made it pretty clear to the school that I couldn't care less about what they thought or said about me. I didn't care about the rumours they spread or about their childish pranks they pulled on me. It was practically routine to make my life more miserable that it already was. Not that it worked in any way. I kept my head down and ignored everything. It was a method that worked every once in a while.

"Alexis!" A loud chirpy voice broke my chain of thoughts as I walked though the school's glass doors. Allison Gates. I wouldn't exactly call her a friend. I mean she talks to me but it's rare. She knows that if she spends too much time with me they'll call her an outcast and she'll lose her reputation.