Chapter 2 - Alexis

Xander Bay [ Drew Seeley]

*************************************************************

The cafeteria was filled with people. For a moment I

actually thought about heading back to the library. I didn't though. I had to go into the cafeteria - not for the sake of the food, yuck - because Dean was in there. And If I didn't go I'd never get to say goodbye.

Dean and his family were leaving for Spain that day, and he and his friends were celebrating his last day in school, and the beginning of his new life in a completely new country. Every one of his friends were there, except for me. He had invited me, but I had to decline. Dean was popular and he was my friend, but that didn't mean his other friends accepted me. I was still the outcast, the one nobody wanted.

I knew I was a problematic damage to his reputation but Dean still wanted me around. He still wanted to be my friend.

I sucked in a breath, squared my shoulder and held my head high. It wasn't the time to think of stupid stuff and scare myself.

You can do this, Lexi, just walk in there, smile, hand Dean the ugly cookies you made, hug him, say goodbye, and walk out.

I was making such a big deal out of nothing. With that last thought I walked into the cafeteria. Several people smacked into me. I didn't mind it though, because they didn't seem to notice me, which was something I was beyond grateful for. By the time I reached Dean's table one of his friends had spotted me. Fortunately, it was Nick.

Nick Dawson was the oldest in our group. Nick, Dean, and four other boys, were the only people who said they liked me, too. Nick was like a big brother to me. I had one at home and another in school.

Nick was usually the quiet one. He was the most mature and the best dressed. Dean loved teasing him by calling him goth, but that never affected him.

The minute Nick saw me he smiled. Without warning his companion Nick got up and walked towards me. No one paid attention to his sudden departure

Nick rarely smiled. But he always smiled - big, real, and genuine - for the people he cared for. And to be considered someone he cared about was more than I could've asked for. When he reached me, he pulled me into a hug. He wasn't a hugger, but he made an exception for me. It made me feel special. When I was younger, in preschool, we'd watch ghost movies and he'd always hold on to me, pretending that I was his teddy bear.

" Hey, Baby Doll, " he whispered. It was his pet name for me. He pushed me away gently and held meat arms length. "Where were you? I was about to come out and look for you. "

I smiled up at him. Nick wasn't buff or huge. I mean, he'she's big, but he is also really tall. I was an ant compared to him. "Really?" I asked. "You were going to come look for me?"

Nick's smile faltered. "I'd look for you anywhere, Baby Doll." He looked a little pained, but Nick hid it quickly.

I leaned forward and wrapped my arms around his waist. Nick was so tall that the top of my head reached just below his collarbone. I felt him laugh more than saw it. "Shortie," his chest vibrated as he hugged me back tighterthan before. I blushed and his my face in chest. Jerk. I always felt like a little kid around Xander and Nick, and they never failed to tease me about it. I was grateful for the small amount of time I had with Nick, because all of Hell broke loose right after that.

And I broke.

*************************************************************

"Alexis?" My brother screeched. "What are you doing here? Why are you here?" Xander dropped his bag and ran up to me.