Chapter 4 - Beginnings

Mariebelle

I'm dead. I know I'm dead. It's a feeling in my bones - what's left of them - and in my soul - what's left of it - and in me, like how some people just know, instinctively, that they are about to die. 

For me, that feeling didn't happen before I died. That certainty was reserved for after the point of demise.

This sucks. 

I've always imagined death as cold. Freezing, like the Russian winters that I loved so much when I was still alive. But there's no chill to speak of, and no heat either. It's as average as can be. 

How anticlimactic.

I sigh, then gasp. I can breathe! But is it really breathing if you're dead?

It's dark here, wherever here is. I keep walking, expecting to bump into something, and then I do.

It's a door. 

I reach out, feeling for the knob. It seems - and I know this sounds weird - to jump into my hand, almost like it wants me to open it. It feels warm and alive between my fingers.

I turn it, and a ray of light escapes from behind the threshold.

I step through.

Authors Note: Yeah, I know that this chapter is a lot shorter than the others, and I'm sorry, but it introduces an important character. I'll release the next one soon.

Thank you for your support!