Chapter Four

Disclaimer: All characters belong to Thomas Astruc

Song: Whatever It Takes by Imagine Dragons

Emilie patiently waited outside the Francoise Dupont institution, delicate nails drumming the armrest of her seat. Thoughts about the recent fight ran through her mind. She had expected Ladybug and Chat Noir to defeat her akuma and amok; reports kept by Gabriel showed a clear one-sided streak. The strike against them was more to measure their abilities and response time for herself. Emilie suppressed a yawn.

A stream of students exited through the front door, and glancing at her phone confirmed that the school day had ended. A few minutes passed before she saw Adrien exit the school. He was walking by himself, his facial expression unclear from her position. Suddenly a girl ran up to him, and the two talked. Emilie regarded the interaction with disinterest.

"At least he remembered how to speak with others," she mumbled under her breath.

Adrien broke away with a wave and headed towards the car. Through the rearview mirror, Emilie watched Adrien slide into the backseat.

"You took your time."

Adrien jumped at the sound of his mother's voice. He jerked up and met her gaze in the mirror. A lump formed in his throat as he remembered their last conversation. He felt his palms start to sweat as he locked his seatbelt.

"I'm sorry," he said. "My friend wanted to give me some notes that I missed."

"The girl?" Emilie nodded for the driver to go ahead. The car pulled away from in front of the school.

"Yes."

"What's her name? Is her family notable?"

Adrien cast his gaze outside, suddenly feeling guilty talking about his friend in this manner. A bad taste formed in his mouth. "Her name is Marinette Dupain-Cheng."

Emilie sat upright. The name threw up a memory of a woman and a burning emotion. She whirled in her seat, her eyes wide and bright. Her voice broke as she said, "The family of bakers?"

Taken off guard by her sudden excitement, Adrien only nodded. Emilie smiled. Her eyes unfocused as if remembering a fond memory.

"Are you and this girl close?"

"She's a very good friend."

Emilie giggled. "Turn the car around."

Immediately Adrien's bodyguard whipped the car around. Adrien gripped his seatbelt and peered at his mother who had turned back around. She was wringing her hands and practically squealing in glee. She looked up and caught his eye.

"Adrien," Emilie cooed, "I've been unfair to you, haven't I?"

Adrien slightly shifted in his seat, not sure if he should respond. Emilie continued. Her face dropped in sympathy, and she placed a hand over her heart. "Of course I have. You're still hurting from losing your father. I understand. I have also been in... pain."

Emilie tilted her head down, and a tear slid down her cheek. She looked back at Adrien, her eyes glistening with tears. Adrien's heart clenched at the sight. Emilie's voice shook as she forced out the words. "The world is unforgiving and cruel, and if you're not careful you'll get hurt. I only wanted my baby to be strong, but I see now that I should have been letting you properly heal. You must think I'm a horrible mother!"

Emilie covered her face and sobbed. Adrien grabbed her shoulder, tears slipping down his cheeks. "No mom, I would never–" Adrien's voice choked, "I'm sorry. I should have realised you were hurting just as much. I'm sorry, I'll be there for you more. We can heal together."