Chapter 8

"Lucifer!" Trixie yelled.
Chloe smiled when she saw her partner desperately trying to break free from her daughter's hug.
"Hello, Offspring."
"I think you have to take care of your partner, Chloe," Dan laughed.
"I think he's in good hands."
"And I think you should call her back."
"You can treat me as a pet as long as you want, I'll always love you," Trixie said, but set the overtaxed devil free.
"Wonderful," he replied and adjusted his suit.
He glanced at Chloe and couldn't believe his eyes. She wore a knee-length red dress, her hair was tied up and the lipstick matched perfectly with the dress.
"Detective...you look...beautiful."
"Thank you," she said and blushed. "I'm glad you're here."
"I am pretty sure I will regret it."
That night, the premiere was at the Los Angeles Theater and Maze had given her friends VIP tickets. Lucifer was about to ignore the invitation, but Chloe had insisted.
"Have you talked to Maze yet?"
"You know us, Detective. We are extra terrestrial. We do not talk about our problems."
"That's not true, Lucifer," Linda said. She and Amenadiel had just joined them. "You talk with me."
"Maze and I do not talk with each other."
"But it doesn't mean you don't have to give it a try."
"Let's go inside," Chloe suggested.
"What about Miss Lopez?"
"I'm here!" Ella yelled and ran to the group as fast as she could in her floor-length green dress.
She stopped next to Dan and leaned against him to take a breath. Lucifer noticed that the detective was cautiously not looking at the forensic scientist, but he seemed to like the situation.
"I'm sorry I'm late. I just finished the report."
"Did he finally confess?" Dan asked.
"No, his lawyer told him not to say anything. She doubts the case was open when we investigated it."
"What's Jackson's excuse?"
"I don't know. But we can be lucky he didn't make your suspension official and that he hasn't quit yet."
"Alright, enough work talk for today," Lucifer said and held out his arm, so Chloe could hook herself.
At the entrance, she showed her and Lucifer's tickets and it came to the devil's attention that the play would be a musical.
"Abba? You cannot be serious, Detective."
"Don't be a spoilsport, Lucifer. It's going to be fun."
"Watching the whole evening a cheesy love story accompanied by the annoying disco songs of the 70s. Terrible costumes and hairstyles included. How can that be fun?"
"It's more than just a love story."
"You are right. Maze wants to torture me."
"Stop being so paranoid," Linda admonished. She forced him to move on and Chloe pulled him to their seats.
"I do not understand why she has not ended this charade yet."
"Probably, it's because of the same reason why you became a civil consultant," Chloe said. "She likes it."
The lights went dark and the play began.

It didn't take long and the audience celebrated.
"Mamma Mia! Here I go again.
My my, how can I resist you?"
"Normally, nobody can resist me," Lucifer mumbled to Chloe. She didn't hear a word because she sang with Linda.
"Mamma Mia, does it show again?
My my, just how much I've missed you?"
"I missed you too, Detective. You cannot imagine how much."
"Yes, I've been brokenhearted.
Blue since the day we parted.
Why, why did I ever let you go?"
"It wasn't your fault, Detective."
"Stop talking, Lucifer. Have fun!"
"Shh!" someone behind them complained.
"Sorry," Chloe whispered.
"Super Trouper, lights are gonna find me.
But I won't feel blue.
Like I always do.
'Cause somewhere in the crowd there's you," she sang and pointed at the devil who was too stunned to react.

Grateful for the break, Lucifer stood up.
"Thanks Dad."
"It's funnier than I thought," Amenadiel said.
"Maze is amazing as Tanya!" Trixie cheered.
"Have you trained with her again?" Linda asked.
"No, she wasn't allowed to tell me anything."
"So it was a nice surprise, wasn't it, Monkey?"
Lucifer watched his partner who played lovingly with the long hair of her daughter. His heart skipped a beat as he imagined teaching the girl how to play piano, seeing her growing up, being a part of their lives. With a start, he realized things would become more complicated in a couple of years. Alcohol, drugs, boyfriends.  He would make sure that no random idiot would hurt her.
"Lucifer, the play's going on," Chloe whispered and pulled him back to his seat.
The second half was as cruel as the first one, at least to the devil.
"Well I can dance with you honey
if you think it's funny.
Does your mother know that you're out?"
Lucifer, who had taken a sip of his flask, coughed at the words which came out of the detective's mouth.
"Is everything ok?" Chloe asked worried.
"All fine, Detective. I just...drank too much at once."
"Do you really never get drunk?"
"Probably not."
Chloe sighed longing. "I wish I could say the same." Lucifer looked at her in surprise. "What? Girls just wanna have fun sometimes."
The rest of the play moved very fast. Every now and then, Lucifer glanced at Chloe who smiled from ear to ear. She was happy seeing that stupid musical, but she was also happy with him at her side. As the last song started, she grabbed his hand and leaned against him.
"I believe in angels.
Something good in everything I see.
I believe in angels.
When I know the time is right for me
I'll cross the stream, I have a dream."

After the performance, the friends waited in the foyer. Ella, Linda and Chloe sung parts from all songs of the last two hours when the demon finally joined them.
"Maze!" Trixie ran with arms wide open to her best friend who kneeled down to reciprocate the hug.
"Hey, Trix. Did you like it?"
"I loved it!"
"You were awesome!" Linda agreed.
"Thank you. I had lots of fun."
"For a co-star it wasn't that bad."
"Can't you be supportive for once?"
"Don't worry, Linda. I can't expect more, can I? And you suffered, didn't you?" Maze asked and smiled mischievous to the former king of hell.
"You're still the best torturer I know."
"So I got what I wanted."
"Maze?" someone asked shyly and the demon turned around to face a long missed friend.
"Eve? What...what are you doing here?"
"I couldn't miss your big performance, could I?"
"But...how did you know?"
"That's my fault," Ella said. Everybody stared at her, so she shifted uncomfortable. "Um, I thought it would be a nice surprise."
Maze blushed and an awkward silence spread between them until Lucifer cleared his throat.
"Maybe we should go. The offspring has to go to bed and you two have a lot to talk about."
They said goodbye and at the parking lot, the group went in different directions, but Chloe stayed at Lucifer's side.
"Will Daniel not take you home, Detective?"
"I hoped you would do."
"Well, how can I say no to a beautiful woman?"
Chloe enjoyed the ride in the Corvette. The wind played with her hair, which she had released from the braid. She closed her eyes and relaxed.
"Did you know Miss Lopez searched for Eve?"
"No."
"And...are you fine with her being back?"
Chloe looked at the driver who eyed her worringly.
"Of course I am. Why not? She's nice and I kinda missed her. What about you, are you fine with that? Eve just had her eyes on Maze."
"Why should I have a problem with that?"
"Are you jealous?"
"No, of course not!"
"Calm down, Lucifer. And keep your eyes on the street."
As they arrived the apartment, Chloe was about to leave the car but Lucifer held her back and opened the door for her. She rolled her eyes, mumbled something about a gentle devil but took his hand and let him bring her to the door.
"Thank you, Lucifer."
"For what, Detective?"
"For being here tonight. For bringing me home."
"There is no need to thank me. It is self-evident."
Chloe smiled as she unlocked the door.
"Do you want to come in? Maybe we can have a drink or two?"
"I have to admit, I like the 'girl' in you, Detective," Lucifer said with a mischievous grin.
He followed her inside the apartment and headed to the kitchen.
"We have to choose between a cheap wine and another cheap wine. Not the greatest selection but..."
He turned around and dropped the bottles.
"Hello, Lucifer. Nice to see you again," Dromos said.
He had captured Chloe and held a blade against her throat.
"Let her go."
"I do not take orders from you anymore. This is just the beginning, Lucifer. We will overrun this city, torture the people you care about and let you know it is all your fault. And I will start right now with your beloved Detective."
While the demon stared hungrily at Chloe, she loked eyes with her partner. She was scared and she would probably freak out any minute but she stayed cool. She had been in dangerous situations before. She looked at the knives on the kitchen counter and back to Lucifer and he understood immediately. In a fraction of a second, he took a knife and threw it in her direction. Thanks his Dad, he was good at aiming. The weapon stuck in the demon's skull, he screamed in pain and set Chloe free. She punched him with her elbow in his stomach and ran to Lucifer who had changed into his complete devilish form.
"I will kill you."
"You cannot," Dromos replied and pulled out the knife. "This human is already dead."
"We'll find a way," Chloe said and shot six times at him.
The deadly wounded demon crumbled down. Lucifer stepped forward and kicked the knife away.
"Go!" he beamed as loud as he could.
Dromos wasn't able to resist the order. He shooked one last time and the demon was gone. There was only a dead body lying on the floor of the living room. Blood and wine ruined it, but that was their smallest problem.
Exhausted, Chloe dropped her weapon. She staggered, but Lucifer caught her.
"Detective!"
The devil held her tight. Under different circumstances, he would enjoy it.
"It's getting worse, isn't it?" she asked.
"I will end it once and for all. Nobody get away with threatening me or my friends without being punished. I will always protect you, Chloe. I promise."