Necessary Lies

A girl whose just turned eighteen get custody off her twelve year old brother and five year old sister after her mom dies in a hit and run and her father goes insane with the tragedy of her death.

Leah is the eldest daughter of Michael Laurence and Abby Ray Laurence. She becomes orphaned at seventeen and fights for her siblings to stay with her. Finally at age eighteen she has all the requirements (a steady job; an apartment with electricity, water, and gas; being the legal age of an adult; having a steady income; enrolling the two in school).

Struggling to pay the bills, having only the city bus as a method of transpiration and having a rebellious brother who doesn’t want his whole life to be babysitting his little sister and paying for her father’s medical expenses, Leah doesn’t have time for anything.

Her schedule is very strict: Put it two hours of online college from four to six AM, wake up her siblings, make them breakfast and get them ready for school. At seven she has to drop May (the youngest) off at Kingwell Elementary School; at seven thirty Ryan (her brother in sixth grade) is due at Wellington Middle School, then from eight to three Leah works at Luke’s, the local Diner. At three she picks up May and Arrives atWellingtonjust in time for Ryan to get out of school at three thirty. When they get to the two bedroom apartment, Leah helps May and Ryan with their homework or a nap if they have none. Then at six she checks their homework and makes diner. After diner (which usually last two hours or more, because that’s pretty much the only time the family has together), May takes a bath and all three brush their teeth together. Leah usually reads a bed time to May at eight (and Ryan often listens in playing it off as if he just wishes to say goodnight to his sister.) Ryan goes to sleep at ten and Leah gets one more hour of online college in before passing out.

And then it repeats.

Until now.