The Decisive Evening

Katie

I sit in my room and listen to the conversation that is taking place in the living room right now.

"I can't do that, Mom."

"Why not?"

"Because I have a date with Jo tonight."

"Can't you postpone this?"

"No."

"James, Carlos, what about you?"

"I'm in the disco with Lucy tonight."

"And Lex and I are going to the movies."

I hear my mom sigh. What is it about?

"Why can't she stay with Kyle?" Kendall asks. Ah, it's about me.

"No, I don't think they get along very well right now."

That's one way of describing it. There is silence for a few seconds.

"Well, then I have to ask Logan."

My heart beats faster. Logan should take care of me? All night long? Without Camille? I don't really need a babysitter, but I can't pass up this opportunity.

Somebody knocks on the door. This must be Logan! I open the door excitedly. He smiles. "Hey, Katie. Your watchdog is here."

I smile as well and let him in. "Thank you for taking the time."

"No problem. So what do you want to do tonight?"

I shrug. "I don't know. We could watch a movie."

"Sounds good to me."

The movie is over and it's pretty late by now. I have no idea when the boys or my mom will be back, but I really don't care at the moment. Logan is lying on the couch with his eyes closed. I just can't help it. I lean over . . . and kiss him. For a wonderful moment, I can feel him kissing me back, but then he opens his eyes. He jumps up. "Katie, what the hell are you doing?!"

I frown. "Why?"

He looks at me in horror. "Why?! Katie, you can't do that!" He's really angry. Tears roll down my cheeks. "What about you? You kissed me back!"

"Yes, but . . . well, I . . . I forgot . . ."

Now I'm getting angry. "You forgot where you are, didn't you? You thought I was Camille! You are unbelievable!"

"Why?!"

"Because I love you, you idiot!" These words come out before I can do anything about it. Now he doesn't look angry anymore but shocked. "But . . . that can't be. I mean, last night you told me-" Now he understands. He shakes his head and kneels down in front of me. "Listen to me, Katie. This can't happen, never. Do you understand me?"

"Why not? What's wrong with that?"

He sighs. "I'm twenty one and you're fifteen. Besides, Kendall would kill me. And we both have relationships with people we love. Do you really want to risk everything?"

I think about it for a long time. Finally I shake my head. He looks relieved. "Come here." He hugs me. Damn it, he smells so good. But he's right. Logan pulls away from me and looks at me questioningly. "Are you mad at me?"

I shake my head. "Are you?"

He laughs. "Well, you're not the only girl who wants to kiss me. So . . ." He looks at me with a grin and I punch him. "You are stupid."

He laughs again, then he gets up. "I know. But I'd say we can discuss this another time. It's time for bed."

Logan comes in. He is wearing a t-shirt and boxer shorts.

"Will you sleep here?"

He nods. "Yes. The others are still out. And someone has to stay with you. So I'll sleep in my old bed in Kendall's room."

"Is Camille okay with that?"

He raises an eyebrow. "Jealous?"

I throw a pillow at him. He smiles. "Alright, I'm sorry. And about your question, Camille is already asleep. So it doesn't matter."

I nod.

"Good night, Katie." He hugs me and walks to the door.

"Logan?"

He stops and turns around. "Yes?"

"Are you going to tell someone about it?"

He comes back and sits down next to me. "No, of course not. That's a thing between you and me. I promise."

I believe him. Logan always keeps his promises. "Can I ask you another question?"

He nods curiously.

"Do you love me?"

He smiles. "Of course. You are like a sister to me. That's why I will always love you." He leans over and kisses me on the cheek. I smile too. "Thank you, Logan. Good night."

"Good night, Katie."