Ponyville Bound

The train to Ponyville was quiet, almost eerily quiet. Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Applejack and Rainbow Dash were the only ponies aboard the vehicle, and they were all sat in an abnormal silence.

Although the five friends weren't speaking aloud, they all had the same mindset. They'd just left two of their best friends in another city; two friends who'd changed all of their lives in extraordinary ways.

Before Twilight and Spike came to Ponyville, they were always a quintet. They all loved and appreciated each other very much, but it felt somewhat outlandish and odd to be returning to their original setup. It was as though a huge part of them had been ripped away within mere moments, and they had to face the fact that life would feel different for quite some time.

The five friends were dispersed around the train's carriage, pondering over how they'd manage to go back to normal after everything that had happened. Sure, things seemed normal before Twilight's coronation, but that's only because everypony put on a facade to escape the reality of what was really about to happen.

If they were honest with themselves, everything was a little too normal after the battle in Canterlot.

Ponies and other creatures carried on as normal after every Equestrian battle, but it felt like more of an obligation to remain casual, orderly and stoic after such a traumatic ordeal.

It was as though no one wanted to talk about the incident in fear of upsetting somebody else; like it was a taboo subject.

A single article in the Ponyville Chronicle was written about Cozy Glow, Chrysalis and Tirek, but after that, nothing. Complete normality.

Pinkie Pie suddenly felt that she'd been quiet for far too long, so she sat upright and presented her most glorious smile.

"Hey, remember when Twilight first came to Ponyville? I threw her that super-duper funtastic welcome party; she drank hot sauce and called us all crazy! Ah, memories."

Pinkie placed her hoof under her chin as she was reminiscing, smiling to herself as she did so.

Rarity perked up from the seat in front of Pinkie Pie, raising a hoof to her mouth as she giggled at the memory she'd just heard.

"Oh, darling. Who could forget that?" said Rarity through her chuckles.

"I definitely wouldn't" replied Fluttershy from across the carriage.

"Her entire face was on fire, and Pinkie didn't even realise" the yellow Pegasus stated as she snickered.

The three friends continued in their recollecting; they laughed, quoted memories, and talked about Twilight and Spike nonstop.

They'd all moved together in one section of the carriage, all except for Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

Applejack was vaguely involved in the reminiscent discussion, but she couldn't help but notice Rainbow Dash sat by herself on the opposite end of the carriage.

Rainbow looked like something out of a movie that Rarity would watch; one with sad, thought-provoking music in the background as the protagonist looked ominously out of a misty window.

Applejack knew Rainbow well enough to realise something was amiss, so she trotted over to the back of the carriage to check on her friend.

"You alright, sugar cube?" asked Applejack in her usual southern twang.

No reply came from the cyan Pegasus; it was as though she was in a trance.

"Rainbow?" Applejack asked again in a more concerned tone.