Chapter 32

Time skip: 5 Years

There sat Kang Mirae, listening intently to her senior, Siwon, her pursed lips were tainted deep pink and she was clad in her black suit pants matching with her pumps. She sat to the very right of her two other colleagues who had the same opportunity as her to take part of the trial Siwon was the lead of.

Their defendant was a man in his late fifties, Jung, who was accused of attempted murder of his wife. She was apparently pushed from the stairs and ended up in coma in the hospital resulting from brain injury. The defendant's step-son, Dong Han, was the one who brought up the issue, claiming that the old man had pushed his mother intentionally to gain her wealth.

This case was a lot to take in, Mirae noted. There were some striking evidences against their defendant. But something was off. The son had been teary when she and Jongdae had met him for a quick interrogation but he was still suspicious in the young woman's eyes.

Something about the son was not normal.

"How do you think we would win?" The third one, Eunhye, quoted incredulously as the four advocates finally sat down to discuss the fresh case. "There's so much evidence against our guy." The girl was intelligent without doubt or else she wouldn't be sitting here with Mirae as one of the few, hand-picked, fresh law school graduates to participate in the case, however she was intent on ignoring the factors that would help the case.

Mirae kept quiet, not wanting to listen to her colleague's disloyal banter. Jongdae and her were confident that they could scrounge up some information in Jung's favor. That was, after all, what being a lawyer was all about.

Siwon smacked the wooden table, putting down the files, to catch their attention. "Okay guys, we all want to believe that our client didn't drug his wife and pushed her down the stairs, right?"

They all nodded, understanding the situation. "Yes Sir," Jongdae answered.

"What else should we know?" He pointed straight at the brown-haired girl, catching her off guard. "Mirae, what would you say? Do you have any ideas?"

She exchanged nervous glanced with her colleagues who only urged her to answer before Siwon blows up. "Well, yes I do." The girl murmured. "I know this is a gut feeling, but I feel tension between Jung and his son. Doesn't it feel that he is pushing all the blame on our client a little too much? He is as much a suspect as Jung."

Siwon rubbed his chin, his stare intense on Mirae. The girl fidgeted under his gaze. "I thought the same thing!" He chimed with a snap of fingers after a minute. "I have a hunch that HE did something to his mother."

"His own mother?" Eunhye frowned.

"Mhm, we just need to figure why." Siwon nodded. "What do you say Jongdae-ssi?"

"We should try to find witnesses. Talk to the son's co-workers, maybe we can find something against his alibi?" He guessed.

Eunhye piped, "We can talk to the neighbors too. To get an idea about the relation between the father and step-son."

"Fantastic ideas! You guys are going well. " Siwon proclaimed with a bright smile. They blushed since it wasn't easy hearing someone experienced like Siwon utter those words.

"Eunhye, you will accompany me tomorrow to the son's workplace." She nodded, humbly accepting the command. "While for Mirae and Jongdae, I want you both to go to his neighborhood right now and engage in a lovely chat with anyone who seems to know them. Arasseo?"

Mirae and Jongdae scrambled out of their seats and bowed. "Yes sir."

-

"Phew! This was a long day for sure." Jongdae flexed his muscles.