Chapter 1

I landed in Seoul, and now it's time I find Haneol Sport University. I have my sport bag from my high school. It has everything I need for soccer. From my cleats to pads. It also has my old high school soccer uniform, but I held onto it for keepsakes. I put my suitcases into the taxi, and I tell the driver to take me to Haneol Sport University. He nods his head.
"You new to South Korea?" He asked.
"Yes, I'm from America. I moved here to see what it'd be like to join a Korean soccer team." I said.
"I see. I hope you have lots of fun. Make sure not to get injured." He said.
"Thank you, sir. If people are as nice as you, then Seoul won't be too bad." I said.
"You'll love it here. Foreigners seem to when they come." He said.
"I know I will. Thanks, sir. I'll be on my way now. Here." I said, handing him the money for the ride.
"Thank you, enjoy university." He said.
I nod my head. I get my suitcases out of the trunk, then I make my way toward my dorm.

I ask around, trying to find where the dorms are. Thankfully, lots of people here speak English. I won't be completely lost around here like I orginally thought. I find my dorm, it has a soccer player kicking a ball painted on it. Yep, this is definitely my dorm. The room is split in two, one side for me, and the other side for my roommate. I wonder who's going to be my rommate. It didn't take long for me to find out as she walks in.
"Hello, what's your name?" I asked.
"Me? Uh, I'm Moobon Mi-Cha. Call me Mi-Cha." Mi-Cha said.
"It's so nice to meet you. You're so pretty, my name's Raeshel. Since that's kind of hard to pronounce, call me Shelly." I said.
"Okay, Shelly. Where are you from?" Mi-Cha asked.
"America." I said.
"Woah, you travelled far. You look. . . Asian. Are you half Korean?" Mi-Cha asked.
"Haha, guess again. My mom is actually Filipino." I said.
"You're pretty too." Mi-Cha said, smiling.
"Thanks, what sport do you play?" I asked.
"I do boxing." Mi-Cha said.
"Oh? You're really strong then. I would of never guessed by looking at you." I said.
"If anyone hurts you, tell me." Mi-Cha said.
"Oh, you don't have to beat anyone up. That's not necessary." I said.
"Okay." Mi-Cha said.

Mi-Cha and I sat there for the better of an hour, just getting to know each other. Her English is not the best, but I don't mind. Being a second language of hers, I can understand the small mistakes. Then, I realized that I need to be going to my first practice of the season. I put on my track suit and bolt out of my dorm. I run to the field and see people already warming up. I immediately apologize to the coach, and he waves it off. He understands, it's my first day. Not a big deal. I take a sigh of relief and join in with the other girls. Nobody talks to me and just stare at me. I get it, I'm new and I don't look like y'all, but you don't have to stare at me like that. It makes me feel uncomfortable. I shrug it off and continue our warm-up.

When warm-ups are finished, we start our first practice game. I get into position. I forgot to add that this game will determine whether I get on the team or not. I'm nervous, but I've been training my whole life for this moment. The game begins and I defend my side very well. I make swift passes that are strategic. The coach watches my every move, making me more nervous. I take in a deep breath and ignore it. We play for about two hours, and with it ending 20-18, my team wins. I'm so proud of us. I hear some girls talking about me, I can't understand what they're saying, but I hope it's positive.
"Miller!" Coach Seungmin shouts.
"Yes, coach?" I asked, jogging over to him.
"You're a very good player. I'm happy to say that you made the team." Coach Seungmin said.
"What? Really? Oh my God, I'm so happy, yes!" I exclaimed.
"I'm looking forward to games with you." Coach Seungmin said.
"I'm happy to be getting started." I said.
"See you later." Coach Seungmin said.

Practice is over now, and so we can all have lunch and dinner. Sometimes practices can go into the evening, so teams can have either or. I walk into the cafeteria and see many people whom I don't know. I grab my food and I look around, hmm. There's the weightlifting team with two members of the swim team. It's now or never when it comes to making friends. I might as well go for it, no matter what my anxiety is trying to tell me. There is also another foriegner sitting there, from the men's soccer team. Right now, I'm wearing my new Letterman jacket with Haneol Women's Soccer Team on the back, in Korean. My attention is directed at the other foreigner.
"Uh, hey. Where are you from, just curious." I said.
"Me? I'm from Osaka, Japan. My name is Sora Nakamoto." Sora said.
"First of all, I love Japan. It's so pretty. Second of all, I have to ask. Are you related to Yuta Nakamoto?" I asked.
"Huh? No, we just have the same last name." Sora said.
"Oh, well I guess coincidences do exist. Anyways, how long have you been going here?" I asked.
"I've been here only a day." Sora said.
"Oh, me too." I said.
"Where are you from?" A girl with short hair asks.
"I'm from America." I said.
"That's far." One of the swimmers said.
"Yeah, would you guys like to introduce yourselves?" I asked.
"Sure. I'm Kim Bok-Joo. This are my friends Jung Nan-hee and Lee Seon-ok. Last but not least, my boyfriend, Jung Joon-hyung." Bok-joo said. Each of them waved as their names were said.
"Wow, it's so nice to be making friends. I would like to hang out if you are all free after training." I said.
"Sure, you seem cool." Seon-ok said.
"Okay, see you all later. I'm quite tired from practice today." I said.
"Bye bye." Sora said.
I wave goodbye.

I may have only just met Sora, but he's kind of cute. I don't know if it's his youthful face or his fluffy hair. Or if it's the way he smiles when he's happy. No, I can't be crushing, I have to focus on training and practicing. If I want to be the best soccer player to ever come out of America, I have to work hard. Soccer first, then I might consider going after Sora. This is going to be a tough first few weeks.