Chapter 2, Tic Tac Toe

The moment Tucker leaves, Kaylin walks through the door. 

"Was that Tucker Andrews?" She asks in a hushed tone while closing the door.

"Yeah. Why?" I don't look up from my textbook.

"Because he is the hottest guy on campus. He smokes and when he lifts up his hand to take a puff, you can see the veins in his forearm. He fights a lot and did I mention he's hot?" She sounds dazed. 

She glanced at me, expecting me to say something. "Oh really?" I asked, pretending to actually care.

"Yes. And you got him to talk to you. I mean are we surprised? You are the prettiest girl I know."

I literally choke. Apparently my roommate is a comedian.

"You are, and don't even pretend like you aren't." She goes over to her closet and begins to change out of her clothes. "Your brown eyes are so pretty. I usually don't like brown eyes, but those are gorgeous with your complexion. Oh my gosh! You should let me do your makeup!"

"I'm not really a makeup girl. It makes my skin breakout."

"Oh don't be ridiculous. I saw the makeup bag in the bathroom."

"Those are my toiletries and skin care bottles." I hunch over in a challenging but annoyed position.

"Whatever." She brushes it off with her hand and switches her regular shirt for a robe. She pulls out what I believe is her makeup bag and goes to the bathroom. "I'm going out tonight so don't expect me back."

"Oh, okay." I didn't really care too much, I was just wondering why someone would go out on the first day of college. 

When I finished two chapters I remembered my parents. I forgot to call them when I got back because of the whole Tucker incident. I grab my phone beside me and pull up my mom's contact.

She answers on the first ring. "Hi baby!"

"Hi, momma." I smile with her warm welcome and play with the fuzz on my small pink blanket.

"How was your first day of school?" She jumps right in.

"Is dad there too?"

"Sorry sweetie. He's at work. So am I actually. I just told my manager it was your first day and asked him if I could take a break when you called."

"Okay then," I say in complete understanding. Lawton isn't at all a wealthy town. Only the mayor has money. My parents are gonna retire when they aren't able to work anymore. They're barely making ends meet because of my college. That's why most kids in that town enter their family business after high school or college. Jackson did. 

"So, don't leave me hanging. How was your first day?"

"It was okay. It was mainly just rules and the syllabus. Nothing big. He assigned us some reading and it's not the worst."

"I can't wait to hear about the rest of your week. Well I have to go. Call dad when he gets home. Not right now."

"Okay. I love you and I'll talk to you soon."

"I love you too. I miss you already! Okay, I really have to go now. Bye."

"Bye momma."

There is a buzz in my ear indicating the end of the call. I look at the profile picture for my mom and I stare at it for a moment. It's a photo of the two of us at a restaurant for my birthday. I miss my family so much.

...

Weeks go by and I have only said hi or hello to Tucker or Mason. They acknowledge me when they see me. Other than a few small conversations here and there, nothing.