Chapter 6: Smile

The café was half-empty and quiet, filled with the scent of sugar, baked treats, and the occasional savory dish as customers ordered here and there. It was warm, cozy even, but outside, the wind chilled the town and sent scattered leaves swimming through the streets, creating a dreamlike contrast as Sakurako stared blankly out the window.

She didn't want to go out. She'd rather stay locked away in her bedroom, but her sisters forced her to spend the morning with them, probably so they could scold her for something else she did wrong.

"Do you want anything?" Nadeshiko asked.

Sakurako shook her head and just stared outside. "I'm not hungry."

"Well that's too bad. You skipped dinner again last night, so you're gonna eat something whether you like it or not."

Grumpy, Sakurako pouted and refused to look across the table. "Fine. I want a bag of chips."

"Right," Nadeshiko said. "One bowl of fruit it is, then."

"But that's not what I said!"

"Are you sure? Because I heard 'I want a bowl of fresh, healthy fruit'."

"No, I want chips! Salty, delicious potato chips! And a soda, too."

"Fine, we'll order the soda, but you're not eating just potato chips."

Sakurako whined, "But why?"

"Because your big sister says so."

Rather than continue arguing, Sakurako accepted defeat. She didn't have the energy to or desire to complain anymore. And after her big sister summoned the waitress and ordered food, the three of them sat in silence as Hanako worked on a history assignment. However, that silence only lasted until Nadeshiko brought up an unexpected topic.

"So, uh, Sakurako..."

Nervous, Sakurako glanced to her sister. "What is it?"

"About the other night..." Nadeshiko bit her lip as Hanako also stared at her intently. "...I was really harsh and, well-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said those to you in front of your friends. No, I shouldn't have said them at all. You didn't deserve it."

Immediately, Sakurako blushed like a bright tomato. She didn't like apologies or 'mushy-gushy' talk, but by the way her sister spoke, it was clear how sincere the apology was.

She glanced to the side. "Okay..."

"And also," her sister continued, "If something's hurting you, you can talk to Hanako and I about it. We're your sisters. You never have to suffer alone as long as we're around. Oh, and we won't call you stupid or anything."

The gushiness of the conversation had reached its peak, and Sakurako couldn't take it anymore. "Whatever!" she exclaimed, squeezing her eyes shut. "Don't be such a quacking duck all the time and just let me sulk in peace!"

Before Nadeshiko had time to respond, the waitress returned with their food. Sakurako happily snagged the soda, opening it and gulping half the beverage down in one sitting, but she grumped and snapped her head to the side when a bowl a fruit was set before her. Like a stubborn little girl, she refused to eat it. Potato chips were what her stomach really wanted.

Her sisters, of course, took note of this but didn't get upset. They didn't complain or scold her. They didn't roll their eyes. Rather, Nadeshiko and Hanako glanced to each other and smiled, happy that a piece of the old Sakurako had broken through, even if it was just for a moment. Then, with a playful smirk, Nadeshiko reached into her purse and pulled out a small bag of her sister's favorite potato chips.