the kids are alright

__

EPIGRAPH

it is familiarity with life that makes time speed quickly. when every day is a step in the unknown, as for children, the days are long with gathering of experience.

the private papers of henry ryecroft
george gissing

__

SYNOPSIS

Matthew Wheeler was smart and happy. A poster child for the city of Vancouver.

Kalmin Pratt was a funny boy with a smile that could light up a room. He loved his family and would've done anything to protect them.

And Seth Sween was just a boy ready to be done with high school so he could move onto better things.

But, what if they weren't?

The three boys had their eyes set on the NHL since they were kids. And they were almost there. All three of them were highly sought-after prospects, expected to go 1, 2, and 3 in next year's draft. But, what happens when the secrets that could destroy their reputations get out?

Their dreams might get shafted, their futures might crumble, their lives might be ruined.

But don't worry, the kids are alright... Right?

__

DEDICATION

to ian
to tucker
to joseph
to jamie
to alex
to chris
to jacob
to thatcher

__

TIMELINE

writing — 11 / 25 / 2019
rewriting — 04 / 05 / 2020
posting — 11 / 27 / 2019
finished — 00 / 00 / 0000

__

WARNINGS

+ profanity
+ mental disorders
+ eating disorders
+ depictions of self-harm
+ suicide
+ murder
+ violence
+ racism
+ sexual themes
+ abuse
+ substance abuse
+ lgbt themes
+ homophobia
+ parental abuse and neglect
+ satire

__

AUTHOR'S NOTE

this is the first thing that i really like that i've come up with since ruined youth so yay me.

a lot of the subjects covered in the story are very important. i would suggest you actually read the warnings because there are things in this book that are generally not touched on in other books ( or at least from what i've seen. a lot of books make it seem like things are sunshine and rainbows ). some of the most prominent themes in this book are substance abuse, mental and eating disorders, abuse, lgbt themes/homophobia, and violence. if you are sensitive to any of those, i might not suggest reading this book.

to those who are sticking around, thank you. i'm genuinely happy about this book. for the past couple months, i haven't been that happy about the things i've been putting out. but, when i came up with this is little bit ago one night after a bunch of people were talking about the babcock incident, i thought it was a great idea. it touches on problems in the hockey world that most average people don't know about. i love the characters, i love their stories, i just love this, honestly.

you might love them too, you might hate them. you might love their stories, you might hate their stories. you might love this book, you might hate this book. either way, thank you for giving this a chance.

also, because this is a story about hockey, the nhl, the world juniors, and the whl, there will be actual, real-life hockey players in this story, including guys like carter hart and cale makar. that does not make this story a fanfiction. i'm including guys like this purely to make it better, easier, and funner for me to write and others to read. if you are looking for a fanfiction about hockey, this is not the place. once again, this is not a fanfiction.

update: not so much carter hart and cale makar, more like jack hughes and spencer knight. my dumb ass was looking at the 2018 wjc rosters instead of the 2019 rosters. we can all publicly shame me.

( i'm also so sorry about that ass cover. if any of yalls can make a better one, send it my way and i'd be happy to use it lmao. jk... unless? )

i really hope you enjoy the kids are alright

love, Ryann

__

PREFACE

Sometimes, things aren't as they seem. Just listen to the Wizards of Waverly Place theme song. It literally says it in there. But, it goes for us too. I was seen as a perfect boy, you were just the kid who was trying to get through his last year of high school, and Kal was willing to sacrifice anything for others. We now all know that isn't true. And we can't help it. This is who we are, even if we don't like it.

— MATTHEW WHEELER

__

COPYRIGHT

don't steal this. if you do, you will be beaten with two flip flops.
© 2019, ryann wilson

__