Your Song: A Niall Horran Fanfic

Aislin's POV:

"Papa?" I asked my father, seeing him sick and in the hospital, he looks lost.

"Yes, Potato?" He smiles a bit, trying to find my eyes. He needs to focus on something when he talks or he will forget.

"I love you." The tears begin to fill my eyes. I don't want to lose him.

"I love you too." He grabs my hand.

And then the silence. He really meant it.

"Aislin?" He asks, trying to find me.

"Papa?" Replying to his search. It takes him a while to find me.

"Don't forget, you are more than this. Go... go find someone, a job, a hobby."

"What?"

And then I hear the steady beeping of the heart monitor. That line haunts me. My soul withers. I cry. He is gone. He is gone forever.

I feel the pain of guilt. I was fourteen. I am seventeen now. It wasn't his fault.

I lay on my new bed with my ipod on in the new room at the homeless shelter. I have been here too many times to count. My mum died from lung cancer when I was twelve, and Papa died from liver failure and memory loss when I was fourteen. Mum smoked all day and papa drank all night. I miss them both, and probably don't go a day without thinking about them.

At the shelter there are always meals for us. I usually help Mrs. O'Neill in the kitchen. Mrs. O'Neill is an old woman with gray hair and dark brown eyes that are warm and welcoming. I have known her since my father died. I rode my bike to the big wooden doors after being evicted from my old house. I couldn't pay the bills. And I rang the doorbell hoping someone would answer. She opened them, and welcomed me in. I later found out that she owned the shelter, and she was proud to help anyone who didn't have a home. She has basically been a Nana for me. So now I have been on and off the streets of Mullingar. I have lived in Mullingar all of my life.

I hear Mrs. O'Neill ring the dinner bell, so I slowly walk down the stairs of the giant place. Everyone slowly, but surely, makes their way down the steps and into the dinner hall. No one ever misses a meal here. My stomach is in knots. I can't stop replaying that day in my head. I don't eat much, and then I go straight to bed.

When I wake up I decide to ride into town. I bring my guitar that my papa gave me for my tenth birthday and I hop onto my bike. When I was evicted from my house they told me I could bring as many things as I could carry, so I strapped my guitar to my back, I picked the locket from my jewelry box, I packed a purse with left over change I had earned from cleaning the house and an outfit, then they told me to leave, so I rode my bike and found the shelter. I ride around the streets for a while, then I hear this lovely voice. Lyrical and wonderful, a sweet ringing in my ears. I wonder what that is? I get off of my bike and walk with it, following the sound of the voice. I got closer and closer and end up at the door to a coffee shop. On the chalkboard sign outside of the building said

"Spring gig: Niall Horran, Earnest Cowellton, Lain Greston, and Lupine Gringe"

Spring gig? I decide that it wouldnt hurt to go check it out. So I park my bike next to a cafe table, and I walk in with my guitar on my back.

There is a crowd of people, some are sitting in chairs, some are dancing, some are cheering, but they are all happy. I take a seat next to an middle aged man who I later find is named Bobby. He is the singer's father. He seems like a very supporting father. The angelic voice is coming from the boy on the stage, named Niall Horran. I had never heard of him, but his voice is amazing! He stands on the small stage with a red polo shirt and some jeans on, as he plays the acoustic guitar. The gig lasts for about another hour and then Niall gets a break. I had been talking to his father during the gig, and got familiar with him. As Niall's gig ends he jumps of the stage to come sit by his father.