Chapter eight: Ellie

“A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.”
― Oscar Wilde

A week passed by. Nothing happened. There weren’t any bodies found and no one got a text message, of anything that would prove that the killer was in the school. They almost felt save, but that was just a illusion.

Two days ago, some people came into the school, leaving them a couple of boxes, with therein some food and other survival materials, like movies. Now everyday from eight to ten there was a movie running. Some were Disney movies, other were science fiction, like the Hunger Games, and the Maze Runner.

It had been a week. A week of nothing. They were scared like hell. They didn’t talk to anybody, but their own friends. It was the seventh day of not hearing a thing that the cops interrupted their conversation.

‘You five, come with us,’ a blonde cop said. ‘We need to talk to you.’

‘Why?’ Ellie asked, but she didn’t get an answer. They did what the cop told them. She lead them to a classroom, where some other cops stood. They were talking, and two of them were setting up a camera.

The nerves in Ellie’s stomach grew. The blond cop told some other guy something and then disappeared.

‘Good morning,’ the guy said nicely. ‘My name is Roger. We got an anonymous tip.’

Ellie sighted. They knew, probably everything. How long did they now about Anna and the list. How much information did they collect. It was almost killing.’

‘Well,’ Grayson said. A person who didn’t know him as his friend, wouldn’t notice the difference in his voice. Ellie was happy that she wasn’t the only nervous one, but she was also really, really scared. ‘What was in it?’

Roger handed them a file over. ‘Read it yourself.’

Grayson opened the brown thing. There was a pile white paper in it.

They know more then they’re telling you,’ he read out loud, and then there was a picture of them in the library, finding out about Anna and the list.

‘I swear to you-’ Kaithlyn tried.

‘Can I have your phones?’ Roger asked.

Ellie gave a look at her friends, who were obviously struggling with the same thing. They didn’t delete the messages.

‘If you have nothing to hide, why wouldn’t you give your phone?’ Roger said smiling. Ellie almost threw up. There was a rushing fear going through her body, almost giving her a heart attack.

‘Here,’ Grayson was the first one to give the guy his phone. It seemed so easy, Ellie thought, if they knew, maybe they would be first at her parents’ house.

‘Good boy,’ Roger petted him. Grayson sent him a deadly look.

Ellie took her phone from her pocket. Her hands were trembling while she gave the phone to the cop. She could only hope that he wouldn’t mention it. It was so stupid, but lying to the police was something she would never do.

‘Well, well,’ Roger said. ‘And you three are too addicted to the little device that you’re not going to give me it.’

‘That’s stupid.’ Joshua handed over his phone. ‘I would rather be addicted to my laptop.

‘Do you have that with you?’ Roger asked interested.

‘On a school where stealing is normal?’ Joshua asked with raised eyebrows. ‘I wouldn’t even think of it.’