Legendary Reencounter

"Hasta la muerte y sin un pacto."

~Secreto, Anuel AA & Karol G

'_°•:•:•°_´—

Drops of sweat fell from my chin as I kicked the ball for the nth time in the whole afternoon. However, the football still didn't get past through the "goal-keeping machine" guarding the net. I wasn't strong, not enough.

I walked to where the ball had bounced off, wiping the sweat from my face. Instead of picking it up, I kicked it and ran behind it, practising my dribble. At least my dribbling wasn't bad, it was quite decent. I manipulated the ball to the goal opposite to the one I was shooting at. I stopped the ball placing my foot on top. I took a deep breath and focused all the energy that I had left, and kicked the ball towards the other end of the pitch.

I felt all the energy flowing out of my body, concentrating into my shot. The ball was flying full-power across the pitch, leaving a golden trail behind. My eyes followed the football intently, without blinking, hoping it would go inside the net.

I was not one to show much emotion, not anymore, especially not hope. But I couldn't help it, not after so much work and effort I had put into this. Unfortunately, the route the ball was following changed completely and my shot started losing power, flying lower and lower, until it touched the grass, a few meters away from the goal. As my shoulders fell, the image engraved itself in my mind, recalling some memories from past times.

✧. ✦

"Please, give me a chance to play the match!"

"No way! You're a girl and girls don't actively participate in sacrificial rituals."

"You don't understand" I lowered my body to keel down. "I have to play. I need to play" I pleaded.

"There's nothing I can do, girl. Unless you volunteer yourself to be sacrificed, you won't be participating. Go plead to the gods, maybe they'll help you." He scoffed.

Everyone around me started laughing at me, with mocking and obnoxious laughter, pointing fingers at me.

"I'll show you that I am strong enough to play in the match." I stood up, determined to prove my point. Fortunately, I always had a ball with me.

"First of all, the sacrifice ceremony is not something for you to play, it's a ceremony in which us humans participate to communicate with the gods."

I payed no attention to what he had just said and made my way stomping towards him. "See that basket at that embroidery stall?" I said out loud so that everyone could hear, while pointing at the basket I had mentioned, at a 50 meter distance. "If the ball goes in, I get to play."

Everyone looked curiously at me, while the head of the Sacrificial Ceremony Committee looked down on me. "Well, you can always try to impress me... But I make no promises."

I stood my ground confidently. The ball was right in front of me, all I had to do was concentrate all the power, all the energy, all the force from within my soul. I had done this before, longer distances even, it shouldn't be difficult for me. But, of course, I had never had an audience to satisfy. What's more, I had to prove myself to a man who would decide whether or not I was "qualified" to save her.

I took a deep breat. I braced myself and went in to shoot the ball. I scanned the crowd to look as self-confident as I could. Suddenly, my eyes made contact with a pair of familiar ones, just as my foot did with the ball. In that moment, I started to break down, my emotions getting the best of me, making my foot hesitate when I shot.