Chapter 1

"You can set that over there!" I point excitedly as the movers place the last the boxes inside my new home. It's and old Victorian mansion with three bedrooms, two bathrooms and an enormous kitchen. I walk into the kitchen and immediately start to unpack my baking stuff. I decided that making cake pops for the neighbors on Halloween was a great way to introduce myself to them, so I started making cake pops that looked like pumpkins. While they chilled t in the freezer, I decided to pick out my Halloween outfit. After a couple minutes of trying to choose between Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz or Red Riding Hood, I finally went with Red Riding Hood. I finished the cake pops and placed them in a basket and walked towards the house on the left.

      The house was simply breath taking. The garden was overflowing with bright flowers and green, lush plants. Even though it was fall the plants were still abloom, the decorations for the season weren't quite scary as they were whimsical.  The house welcomed you with the scent of fresh pumpkins and cinnamon. I walked up the path with a skip in my step. I knocked on the door excited to meet my new neighbors.

     An elderly women answered the door with an apron on. She greeted me with a smile only a grandmother could give.

"Hello dear, I'm sorry but we don't have candy quite yet, I just sent my husband, Morty,  out to go get some." She said with a sweet and cheery voice.

"It's okay, I'm not here to trick-or-treat. I'm here to introduce myself, hi, I'm Ellie Smith and I'm your new neighbor." I say smiling sweetly and extending my hand. She shakes it tenderly.

"I'm Delia Winters, I live here with my husband Morty." She says.

"Well I just came to introduce myself and offer you some of these." I say handing her four cake pops.

"Oh! These are adorable, you'll have to stop by tomorrow for tea and we'll talk some more. How does that sound?" she asks smiling sweetly.

"How can I say no? Happy Halloween, I'll see you tomorrow Mrs. Winters." I say as I walk away from the Winters' home.

"Call me Delia, and I'll see you tomorrow Ellie." Delia says as she re-enters her home.

We lived in a somewhat secluded area and the houses were each a mile a part, but I still thought that there might be kids trick-or-treating in the area. I walked past my house to my neighbors on the right. I approached a house that looked almost abandoned. The window screens were torn and falling off, the porch was splintered and cracked, I'm afraid that my weight might break the worn steps as I ascended to meet my new neighbors. I lightly knock on the door, afraid that if I knock too hard it might fall and break.  A boy, that looked about my age answered the door. His face pale and his shaggy blonde hair covering most of his face. His eyes were glowing red and he looked like an elf dressed in green with pointy ears.  "Hello." He says with a menacing smile.

 "Hi ." I respond with a nervous smile. There was an awkward pause before I remembered why I was standing on this creepy porch. "I'm Ellie, your new neighbor, I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself, oh and to give you some of these." I said holding up the basket filled with cake pops.

"I'm Ben and I will gladly take your cake pops." He responds and I can't help but laugh a little.

  "Who is it Ben?" asks another man stepping out from a room. I gasp at what I see. His mouth is slit from ear to ear in a smile. He is pale white and has no eye lids. His white sweat shirt only makes his black shaggy hair look darker. His eyes are black pits that I immediately get lost in.

"Cool make-up ." I say.

He laughs a little at my statement, "I'm Jeff."

"I'm Ellie." I respond, still mesmerized by his appearance. "So how many of you are there?" I ask ready to pull out some cake pops.

"Thousands, all over the world too." Responds Ben.

"What?" I look up confused. 

"There's five of us here." Jeff says laughing nervously and elbowing Ben. I smile and hand them the rest of the cake pops.

"Happy Halloween." I say as I leave the house with an uneasy feeling.

My new neighbors are a bit... weird.