Chapter 2

"It's nice," Serenity comments as she helps me unpack my stuff. Her back is to me, so I can't see the emotion on her face.

I sit on my bed, and hugged my knees to my chest. "I feel like I'm making a mistake."

"You need to live your life, Taryn." She replies, holding up a neon blue top. "Isn't this mine?"

"No, and it's not that," I said, snatching the blouse from her hands. "You can live with me-"

"He'll never release me to you, Taryn. We both know that."

"What if something happens to you, Serenity? What if one of the other men try something?" I pounder, feeling the need to lie down.

"There are three locks on my bedroom door, Serenity. And you know I'm usually up in the attic anyway." She told me, closing the suitcase and shoving it under the bed. "And I know you told Keon to look out for me. Taryn, don't worry about me."

"It's my job as a big sister," I start, but she cuts me off by giving me a hug. I hugged her back, smiling to myself. Only seventeen, she was one of the strongest people I know.

"Anyways, I'm hungry," she announces.

"So am I," Keon agrees, walking into my room.

Fuming, I turn to him. "How the hell did you get in here?"

"You left the door open."

I throw my pillow at him, and he throws his hands up in the air. "Get out, Keon."

"I'm not leaving until I'm promised some food."

I glare at him and grab my purse. "I do not work two jobs to feed you."

"I'm part of the family, Taryn."

I roll my eyes, remembering the fact Keon was in fact family. I never associated that word with him but it was the truth. "Cousin or not, you still annoy the living hell out of me."

We walk down the street to a Italian restaurant, and since they don't have self control, I order for them.

"We aren't little kids," Serenity whines.

"It's my money, kiddo. Get your own job and you'll see how much you want to spend." I retorted, playing with the salt and pepper bottles.

"That reminds me," she smiles, "I did get a job."

"McDonald's called back?" I asked, smiling back at her. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Thanks."

"Aw, that means both of you can buy me food," Keon chimes in. We glare at him, frustrated.

"Keon," I start, narrowing my eyes at him. "Don't make me despise you."

"You already do, cuz." He grins at me and then turns to Serenity. "Did you hear? Silvana Jacobs got pregnant."

I tune them out and use the free wi-fi to check my email. Bills, bills and more bills. I look up at Serenity and Keon and hope that they never have to struggle like I do. They deserved more out of this life than to be living paycheque to paycheque just to pay another bill. I deserved more than this life. One day, maybe I could live better than how I was living now.