Chapter 1

Sandstar howled for the clan to gather. Birdflight excitedly sat at the bottom of the Cold Rock. He glanced over at Cottonkit and Robinkit, his youngest siblings, whose eyes were sparkling, smiles stretched across their muzzles. He noticed Mistykit and Foggykit next to them. They had the same expressions on their face. 

"Today, four kits have reached the age of six moons." The pale leader mewed. "Mistykit, Foggykit, Cottonkit, Robinkit, you shall be known as Foggypaw, Cottonpaw, Mistypaw, and Robinpaw. Robinpaw, your mentor shall be Reedpelt." Reedpelt looked up, puffing out his chest.
"Cottonpaw, your mentor shall be Smokeclaw." Birdflight felt his heart skip a beat. Smokeclaw was very strict, but he knew Smokeclaw would teach her well. 

"Mistypaw, your mentor shall be Willowflower." Willowflower had a purr rumble in her throat. She was a young warrior, and this would be her first apprentice. "Foggypaw, your mentor shall be Birdflight." This would be Birdflight's first apprentice, so he felt an extra pang of pride. 

"Foggypaw! Mistypaw! Robinpaw! Cottonpaw!" The clan cheered. Birdflight felt a pang of happiness for his kin. 

"Robinpaw, Cottonpaw." He trotted up to the two apprentices. They turned, smiling. "Congratulations! I couldn't be happier for you two!" He purred.

"Thanks! I kinda wish you were my mentor." Cottonpaw mewed. "Smokeclaw is mean." Smokeclaw gave a cold glace over to his apprentice, before trotting over. 

"Cottonpaw, today we'll be gathering moss for the elders." Smokeclaw mewed sternly.
"But that's so boring!" Cottonpaw rolled her eyes.

"Do you want to be a warrior?" Smokeclaw hissed. The orange apprentice nodded. "Then come on." The two padded out of the gorse tunnel. Mistypaw and Foggypaw were pawing at each other, purring. Birdflight remembered how excited he was when he became an apprentice. He, Rushpelt, Hazenose, and Ashstrike would play fight with each other, and call it battle training. Willowflower trotted up to their apprentice, and Birdflight soon followed. Willowflower had a nervous scent rubbing off her pelt. Birdflight padded up to the she-cat.

"I'm nervous too, since this is my first apprentice as well." He started, turning towards the tortoiseshell. She looked up, eyes sparkling. "But you're strong. I know you'll teach her everything she needs to know."

"Oh, thanks." Willowflower's pelt grew hot. She then turned to Mistypaw, and they padded through the gorse tunnel.

Robinpaw was communicating with his mentor using tail and ear expressions. Reedpelt was born deaf, and never learned how to speak. His mother and father, Whitestep and Swallowtalon, decided to teach him how to communicate with his tail and ears. That works very well for the senior warrior.

Birdflight, along with Foggypaw, trotted over to the two. They seemed to be talking about gathering moss. "Hey guys." He spoke while expressing it with his tail. Reedpelt waved his tail. Robinpaw dipped his head. "Could me and Foggypaw come with you when you collect moss?" He mewed, flexing his claws, scraping an imaginary tree. Reedpelt nodded.

"We could always use help carrying back the moss." Robinpaw purred. They soon padded through the gorse tunnel. The cold wind breezed through their pelts. Birdflight felt shivers down his spine. His light blue eyes scanned the trees, until he found a tree covered in fresh moss. He pointed his muzzle towards it, as the three of them started trotting towards it.

Reedpelt unsheathed his claws, and stretched them up the tree. He scraped them downwards, a bundle of moss falling off. He pointed his muzzle towards Robinpaw, then to the tree. Robinpaw tried to mimick his mentor's movements, but his hind legs wobbled. He tried to steady himself, but he fell over, landing on his back. Reedpelt slowly shook his head. "Try to lean on the tree, and keep your hind legs farther back." Birdflight chimed in. "And Foggypaw, I want you to do the same."

"I'll try." Foggypaw mewed, as she pressed against the tree. Robinpaw kept his legs farther from the tree. He reached up, stretching his sharp claws. Bundles and chunks of moss fell to the base of the tree. The dark red apprentice backed away from the tree. Foggypaw did the same, and scraped off some moss.

"Great job!" Birdflight purred. Reedpelt nodded in approval. The white tom bundled up the moss into a ball and held it in his jaws. Birdflight, Foggypaw, and Robinpaw did the same. They all padded back to camp. As Birdflight was walking through the gorse tunnel, he noticed two kits running through the clearing. He stopped, as he almost bumped into one of them. His ball of moss fell out of his jaws.

The two kits stopped when they saw the moss ball. They started pawing it around the clearing and chasing it. "We don't need that moss anyway. It's extra." Birdflight mewed to his apprentice. Birdflight then padded up to the kits. "I see you're out of the nursery, Lionkit and Shellkit." The light brown tom purred.

"Yep!" Lionkit squeaked.

"Where's Silverkit?" The young warrior asked.

"He's in the medicine den. He wants to be a boring medicine cat." Shellkit sighed.

"Oh. Well, you guys can always play with me." He mewed. The kits nodded. The kits climbed on him, purring. Birdflight smiled, as he trotted around camp, bouncing the two of them.

"That looks fun!" Silverkit yowled from the medicine den, before climbing onto Birdflight's back. The warrior continued to bounce around camp, as the kits giggled and purred. 

Goldenheart and Rosepath watched from a distance, smiling."He'd make a great father someday." Goldenheart mewed to her mate.

"I would love to see more kits in the nursery." The queen said.