Prolouge; Harbinger of Sorrows

The Deeproads smelt of dry death, a most foul stench one could never forget; the horrific stench of darkspawn-fed pools of lava, mixed the stale scent of centuries of mass decay that would haunt your mind until the day you passed into the fade. The expedition had gone haywire, Betrand had left us for dead in the sodding caves, better yet with small hordes of darkspawn. Now as I wept, my sister lay blighted, with my dagger in her chest; blue viens poked out from her pale cheeks, and her once beautiful blue eyes were now glazed over with the first sickening sign of the blight. She begged me to help her, to ease her suffering, and I did; I had to watch the life drain for my sisters eyes, all because of a foolish decision to take her with us, I should have listened to mother. I removed my dagger from her deflated chest, and closed her eyes with my shaking fingertips, before clutching her withered torso to my own; her head lolled limply, as did her arms, she dangled from my arms lifelessly, and it was almost too much to bare. I muffled my cries into her bosom, her blood smeared into my hair and my face, but it didn't concern me.

"Poor Sunshine..." Varric mumbled sadly, his voice barely registering as nothing but a distant echo in the back of my foolish mind. What had I been thinking, to bring her here, of all places! "Hawke, we have to go," Fenris placed a gentle hand on my quivering shoulder, but I felt only the cool stickiness of my sibling bleeding onto me, the lack of her heart beat. I Reluctantly pulled away from bethany's corpse, with a montage of tears, blood and dirt clinging to my face, and turned towards Varric with a dark glare. "Varric..." I said, barely above a whisper, "your brother WILL pay for this, in full." I clench my fists, and stand up, biting my lip harshly. "You can count on it," he growled angrily, before turning to the path before us. Terrible columns of red washed stone rose above us, with vats of lava to the left and to the right; it was certainly time to leave.

We faced wave after wave of twisted monsters on our route out, before finally reaching the piercing light of day.

Next Chapter coming soon
Bcd