Chapter 1: The Nostalgic Hometown

It was a cold December morning. After a long trip from the far-continent, Avernus didn't want to let go of the warm blankets. He yawned, stretching his muscles to the maximum. The Crowe's residence was so relaxing. No Inn at Loegres or Taliesin could compete with the hospitality of Mrs. Celica Crowe.

But it was the day. Because of Avernus' recommendations, Laphi had been finally accepted into the Loegres royal school. But he had one request: to see most of the Midgand before the school starts. Avernus took the responsibility to bring him to his travels. The door's hinges squeaked. Avernus glanced at the door with sleepy eyes. Someone peeked in, then another taller figure slowly appeared above them, taking a glimpse inside the room.

"I'm awake!" Avernus yelled.

Then the door heaved inward and instantly opened and hit the wall with a tremendous force.

Avernus' eyes widened at the flushed faces' of the culprits. Velvet and Laphi were glued to their spot. "We're so sorry! You overslept! So... we wanted to check if you're okay or not!" Velvet nervously said as Laphi scratched his head anxiously.

"Yeah, it was a tedious trip." Avernus rose up and rubbed his face, "But it didn't kill me if that's what you asking."

Velvet quickly shook her head, "No, of course! I didn't mean..."

Someone from outside called to them, cutting her off.

"Velvet! Laphi! Don't bother Mr. Diphda!"

Velvet cupped her hand over her mouth and pulled Laphi by his shoulder, "Let's go."

Avernus sighed, shook his head and slid into his clothes.

A few minutes later, he stepped into the hall. The family was already at the table; Celica wearing her apron, and Laphi was bombarding Velvet with schematics of a new compass. They immediately turned to him with beaming faces. Celica smiled bowing her head, "Good morning, Avernus. I hope they didn't trouble you or anything."

Avernus pulled a chair and waved his hand.

"That's fine. They were worried about me." He suppressed a laugh as his lips curved into a slight smile, "They thought I was dead or something."

Velvet's and Laphi's faces crimsoned in shame and they lowered their heads to avoid Avernus' gaze.

"I'm so sorry. They're just excited, that's all. They didn't even sleep last night."

"Why?" he asked, picking up a fresh-baked bread.

Celica shot a glance at Velvet as she raised her head.

"Velvet and Laphi spent all night talking about the trip, where to and what to do during the month."

Avernus narrowed his eyes in confusion, "Why?" he quickly turned to Velvet. "Do you want to come too?"

Velvet frowned, "Of course, I won't leave my brother alone!" She stroked his soft blond hair, glancing passionately, "He is my little Laphi after all."

Laphi groaned, "I told you! Don't call me Laphi!"

Velvet instantly hugged and squeezed him.

Avernus chuckled, "Well, nothing can stand between Velvet's love for her brother."

Velvet looked back at him, "That's correct...You dork." she mumbled.

Avernus squinted at Velvet. Suddenly the door opened; Arthur and his son, Phi, entered the house.

"So, Mr. Diphda is finally awake. Welcome to the land of the living." Arthur greeted him.

Avernus bowed his head slightly, "Morning to you, Mr. Collbrande and yes, I survived the harsh seas of Midgand. The trip was tiresome."