Chapter 5

Elsa, Kristoff and Honeymaren went to the Enchanted Forest to meet with Ryder and the Northuldra elder Yelana to make certain Anna wasn't there.

When it was finally confirmed Anna was definitely gone, Elsa invited Ryder and Yelana to accompany them to the Valley of the Living Rock. There, the five of them met with Pabbie, the leader of the trolls.

"We really have to stop meeting like this," said Pabbie. "Though I assume this isn't a social call."

"We have a problem," said Kristoff. "Anna's been taken."

Elsa used her magic to conjure up a miniature, three-dimensional version of the symbols made in the ground back at Arendelle. "Do you happen to know what this symbol means?"

The ice model slowly hovered downward so that it floated at eye level with Pabbie. The elder's eyes grew wide with concern.

"This symbol...I haven't seen this in a very long time. How did you say your sister was taken?"

"A dragon made of smog came for her. It arrived in Arendelle and brought a storm along with it."

"I see..." said Pabbie, suddenly becoming very somber.

"What?" said Elsa. "What is it?"

"If what you are telling me is indeed true...then someone is trying to bring back Baba Yaga."

Honeymaren, Ryder, and Yelana gasped in unison, looking terrified. Kristoff, however, was confused. 

"I don't understand," he said. "Who...or what is a Baba Yaga?"

Pabbie closed his eyes and sighed wearily. "Oh...where to begin....?"

"Allow me," volunteered Yelana. "Magic is a powerful force that has been around for generations. It is older than man, quite possibly older than time itself. Some of this old magic, like what you have encountered in the Enchanted Forest, is quite benevolent, except when provoked..."

"But there are other ancient forces in the world..." continued Pabbie. "Forces that thrive upon evil and destruction. Baba Yaga is one such force....and one of the strongest."

"Legend has it that the only way to defeat Baba Yaga was to split its powers into the four elements so that it could be better contained by man," said Yelana.

"Earth, Water, Fire, Wind..." said Pabbie. "To safeguard against its formation again, Baba Yaga was confined to Earth, and as such no human can harness its power for their own. But the other elements can be commanded and controlled, as you no doubt are already aware, Elsa."

"Wait a minute..." said Elsa, "Does that mean...there are others out there that can use magic? There are others like me?"

The Troll King smirked. "You didn't think you were the only one in the world, did you?"

"So is that it?" asked Kristoff. "Arendelle was attacked by one of these magic users?"

"It's quite probable," replied Pabbie. "From the sounds of it, an extremely proficient conjurer of the element of wind descended upon your kingdom."

"But why?" asked Kristoff urgently. "Why did they have to take Anna?"

"It is said that there are people in the world that possess an almost god-like proficiency with their powers, and if the masters of Wind, Water, and Fire combine with the Foundation of Earth, they can re-awaken Baba Yaga and bring destruction to this world."

At this realization, the group went silent.

It was Elsa who broke the silence. "They took the wrong one. Whoever kidnapped Anna thought that she had powers."

"W-what do you think they'll do to your sister when they find out she doesn't?" asked Ryder.

"I don't know," Elsa replied. "But it doesn't matter. Because I'm going to rescue her."