Chapter 2

"Oh, Honey!! I have missed you!" My mother squeezes my neck as soon as I climb out of my car. It was a long six hour drive. It's four in the morning I haven't been to able to sleep yet so I am not in the mood for hugging and loving right now and my mother knows that from me trying to pull away from her.

"And my BABY!" She screeches as she runs to the back door. Hudson is sound asleep. Hudson hates care rides, so everywhere we go that is a long trip, we have to leave at night when it's his bedtime so he can sleep the whole way. Being a single mother is hard. Being a mom is hard, but not having his father around, the extra income, it made life so much harder. I don't regret Hudson at all, and I would do it over in a heartbeat, I just wish I had the extra help and that's why I am glad to be back home for awhile. I need a break, everyone knows I do. My friends weren't too excited when I told them the news. Some cried. My co-workers threw me a goodbye party, I didn't attend because Hudson had a rough day, so they brought the party to my apartment. Anne video called me and we chatted almost all night long, she is settled into her new home with her new family she is nannying for and I am happy for her. I am going to miss Kentucky but good God I feel good and it hasn't been twenty-four hours yet.

"Come on, honey! There's someone I want you to meet." My mom calls out for me, basically sprinting towards our house with Hudson in her arms. I truly missed this house while I was gone. My once newly painted white small one story brick home was now faded into a dirty white. They shutters weren't black any longer, the color faded on them a long time ago. The grass lost its color due to the cold front that hit Alabama, the bushes that line the porch were withering away. I step onto the front porch, a big front porch with enough room for two chairs, a table in between, and a now yellow-white porch swing. So many memories were held on that swing.

When I step inside, the smell of cinnamon hits my nose and memories flood my brain. My mother loves the cinnamon smell and we, dad and I, always picked on her obsession, but it was my secretly dads favorite smell, too, and she could never seem to stop getting the candles once he passed away. It made her feel like he was with her, she would tell us. The once beautiful house was now empty. Boxes are piling up in the corners of every room I enter. A man is standing at the bar in our kitchen. He's handsome, tall and lean built, dark scruffy hair that stood up probably due to the fact he runs his hands through it every five seconds. His facial features are prominent. His piercing blue eyes, the stubble that's slowly coming in all across his cheeks, his jawline. Who is this man?

"Sweetie, mind you're manners!" Oops, I said that out loud.

"This is Will. He and I have been seeing each other for awhile now. We've also decide-"

"You're not marrying him," I point at Will, "are you?" That gains a laugh from the both of them and my mom shakes her head no.

"No, but I am moving in with him. He's from Seattle, Washington, Arizona! I've sold the house a few yesterday and i've got the rest of the week to pack," She gushes. The end of the week is approximately... tomorrow. I can see that she is happy but... moving all the way to... Seattle? I don't even know this woman! Six, almost seven months ago, she still cried over my dad. We couldn't even speak of him without her world crumbling apart, now she's sold the house and is moving to... SEATTLE.

"Me and Hudson are going to bed. Nice to meet you, Gary." I tease. My mother rolls her eyes and lightly punches my arm as Will laughs at me. I may not know this man, but I have not seen my mom look at another man the way she is looking at Will. But, getting to know him will have to wait until the morning. This mama and baby need their beauty sleep.

My old bedroom is empty and the wall is a beautiful light grey color. I guess this is what I get for not taking the time to call my mom, returning her calls, or... answering them, but I was always busy. Occasional nights I was lucky enough to eat dinner.