𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐜𝐚𝐫

A heart-wrenching cry echoed in the small run-down apartment complex

A heart-wrenching cry echoed in the small run-down apartment complex. "Shut up!" A smack rung in the cream-colored walls as the mother of Jennie Kim reached for a new bottle of beer.

6 year old Jennie hiccuped as a small sob escaped her chapped lips. Her cat-like eyes swollen with tears as she sat on the hard carpet. Jennie's stomach grumbled with aching hunger.

Jennie's father heaved out a sigh as he picked up Jennie, "Are you hungry?" He asked to which her stomach let out a huge grumble answering his question.

"Woman make us food." He ordered Jennie's mother who scoffed in response.

"Can't you see I'm resting." She sarcastically said which angered the man. He placed Jennie on the couch and stood up pacing towards his wife.

He slapped her, "Raise your voice at me again woman and I'll beat your head in! Get your ass up and make food!" He shouted and headed to his room slamming the door afterward.

Jennie looked at her mother with concerning eyes and ran towards her. "Eomma." She placed her tiny hand on her mother's shoulder.

Her mother wept, "This is your damn fault!" She pushed Jennie harshly making Jennie hit the hard floor.

Jennie's eyes blurred as they filled with tears her mother's words confused yet hurt the poor girls heart. How could this be her fault was it because she was hungry. Questions that a child shouldn't be thinking popped into her mind making her question her existence.

Jennie sat in her seat staring at the desk filled with horrible words. When she was told that high school would be a little harsh she didn't expect the kids to hate her this much.

"Yah Jennie you shouldn't come here and contaminate the seats with your poor self." A girl from good working parents insulted Jennie.

"Hey aren't those uniforms the ones from three years ago!" A boy spoke loudly to his friends pointing at Jennie's outdated clothes. These were the clothes that the school gave her from the donated clothes they had.

Kids laughed at her loudly, "Aish she can't even afford new clothes." The teacher mumbled and a few students caught her words making them laugh harder.

Jennie heard everything she was trying vigorously to hold back her tears. This was nothing compared to her parent's insults but for some reason, her classmate's words hit hard. A small tear managed to escape making Jennie quickly wipe it, she hastily stood up and grabbed her torn up bag rushing out the classroom.