Chapter 12: Jambalaya

True to his word, Alastor was back with her phone and a charger. He happily handed it over to Mel, glad it was out of his hands now.

He really dispised that technology.

Once Mel plugged the phone up and saw the charging symbol pop up on the black screen, she sighed with relief.

"Thank you Alastor. I mean it. I know that this kind of thing is trivial for most people, but for me it isn't. There's things that I really need on here, and I'm really glad that I have it. So thank you. And um, I'm really sorry for the trouble. I could tell you didn't like it. I'm sorry." Mel went on, unaware of Alastor studying her.

After she gets past her wariness with someone, she becomes kind of timid and very apologetic. Hm...

"Nothing to worry about my dear. Come now, dinner is awaiting!" Alastor said, back to his energetic self, now that he didn't have to do anything with Mel's phone.

He led her to the dining room, when a familiar smell reached Mel's nose.

Oh no.

The both of them sat down at each end of the dining table, where a plate full of jambalaya was in front of.

It wasn't that Mel hated seafood, particularly, more like...

...she was afraid of it.

Mel looked down at the food, seeing there were several ingredients, but she really only saw the shrimp.

I....I need to eat this. Alastor helped me and got me a charger. He is even letting me live here rent free as well. It would be like a slap in the face if I refused to eat his cooking because I didn't like it, when i havent even had a bite yet. I would be like a spoiled brat. It would be very rude.

Mel glanced up at Alastor, who seemed to be watching her, waiting for her to take a bite.

Crap, crap, crap. Ok, let's do this.

Mel looked at her silverware, not sure if she should use a fork or a spoon. She ended up picking to use a spoon, seeing at their were a lot of....juices...to be ingested.

She scooped up a spoonful, along with a single shrimp.

It's fine, it's fine. Who knows? Maybe I'll like it and then I-

What if it's crunchy?

Mel slammed her spoon into the bowl, causing Alastor to raise an eyebrow.

No, I....I can do this. It's not alive. It probably won't crunch because it's been laying in juices for a while I bet, and even if it does crunch, so what? Doritos crunch. Doritos are freaking awesome. Shrimp is just-

It looks like it did when it was still alive.

Shut the fuck up mind, you are not needed here. Leave.

"Mel?" Mel looked up at Alastor who called her name, and now that she thought about it, probably called for her a few times.

Once more, no words were needed, simply the look in his eyes, despite the smile, said it all.

He was wondering just what the hell, no pun intended, Mel was doing.

Then he chuckled.

"You know, if you didn't like jambalaya, you could have just said so. No need to have a breakdown because of it my dear." Alastor laughed out.

Mel frowned while she shot glares at the demon laughing at her. Her guilt of not being able to eat the food had completely disappeared.

"What if it's crunchy?! This type of crunchy is not okay! Dorito crunchy is fine! Oh-oh God, what if it's not crunchy but mushy? Or both! What if it like, bursts in my mouth after I bite into it? What if it's crunchy on the outside but gutsy on the inside?" As Mel was freaking out, Alastor just watched in great amusement while eating his food.

A feast and a show at the same time? Now I'm just getting spoiled.

...

...What is a Dorito though?

************************************
I do not own Hazbin Hotel or any images used.