Chapter 18

Khushi woke up shivering, her pillow in her hand. She heard the soft whirring noise of the AC and realized that the power was back and that Arnav had left the room at some point.

As Khushi entered the kitchen to help HP set up the table for breakfast, she saw Mrs. Indrani Raizada standing in her silk night dress and robe, looking annoyed.

"What's the matter auntyji?" she asked the older woman.

"It's HP!" she exclaimed, "that blasted man has gone to his home town. Who will do all his work here. I am trying to arrange for another cook but I can't find anyone on such short notice."

"Don't worry auntyji," Khushi said quickly, "I can make breakfast."

"Are you sure?" she asked her.

"Of course!" she said, "I used to cook for Mrs. Rai back in Udupi." Khushi realized that Mrs. Raizada probably didn't want to hear about Mrs. Rai.

"I see," she said slowly, "but we don't eat south indian food here."

"I can make north indian food as well," she said, "my family is actually from Lucknow. Don't worry auntyji I have been helping Hariprakashji in his cooking. I will manage."

"You are very resourceful, aren't you?" Indrani looked at her sharply. "Alright, go ahead." She walked away, her high heels clicking on the hard tiles.

Anjali joined her in the kitchen and helped her prepare breakfast. "I didn't know you were making breakfast."

"You don't have to do this Anjaliji." Khushi told her earnestly.

"We all have to earn our keep in Raizada kingdom or rather queendom." She quipped.

"I know you have a very busy week at work."

"I don't know what my aunt is up to," she said, "I can't believe she can't find a cook."

"It's okay," Khushi said, "I am happy to help. I was feeling like I was overstaying my welcome."

"Don't worry about it. My aunt and uncle are filthy rich Khushi and it's not like they can't afford it. But my aunt just doesn't like people," Anjali said, "I was never allowed to bring home a guest when I grew up here."

At breakfast, Anjali made sure she let everyone know that it was Khushi who had made breakfast.

Arnav clenched his jaw. "Where's HP?"

"He has gone to his hometown." Mrs. Indrani said, "Poor guy hardly gets any leave. I really feel so bad for him."

"Why are we making a houseguest cook for us?"

"She offered Arnav," Mrs. Raizada said, "apparently, she did this in – which is that place – I don't get that name."

"Udupi," Khushi supplied, "I am happy to help," Khushi said in a rush wondering why Arnav was making big deal about this.

"Don't we have a cook who comes in later in the day?" Anjali asked, "can't she come in early?"

"Do you think she has no other work?" Indrani asked, "she is a busy lady."

"I am sure we can find another cook to come in to make breakfast." Arnav said looking at his step mother.

"Feel free to find one for me." His step mother shot back.

"Don't worry about it Arnav. I will help Khushi," Lavanya offered affably.

Two days later on Sunday morning, as Khushi stood in the kitchen, fretting over the fact that Arnav had conveniently forgotten about their kiss and was carrying on as though nothing had happened, Lavanya walked up to her. "You have to help me make chicken gassi today.