Chapter 1

The past few months had been awful and what with my future lying in front of me, I thought now was the time to travel and see some of the cities on my ever-growing list. University could wait another year for me to return.

My best friend Tara and my family thought that I was being stupid for putting my education on hold, when 'I was destined to become a great scientist in a biology field' as they kept telling me, literally nonstop since the first time I had suggested the idea of me travelling. They said that I could travel after graduation and that I would have the opportunity to study in another country if I wished so why did I have to go now?

Well, I felt like I deserved a break from studying after pushing myself to work hard for years to excel in school and of course after my tragic break up with my ex-boyfriend Tony.

I had thought that we would have last. That was until he humiliated me and rudely dumped me on a date at the cinema. There had been no warning. Everything was going great and we were happy together or so I had thought.

It hadn't taken me it had taken me 3 months to get over it with heartbreak and the shame I had felt, even though I wasn't over it, not 100% so that's why I thought if I went travelling and went to go enjoy myself; seeing and experiencing new things with no deadlines no pressures, I would be able to finally get over it.

Now, I was in my bedroom with my best friend Tara who was trying to help me pack my bags. "How's this?" I asked her holding up a short sleeve lemon yellow top.

"Great if you are planning to go somewhere hot," she replied staring at the open suitcase on my bed.

Then I began to fold the top as she asked, "why do you need to go?" she asked it as she looked up at me.

"I've already told you, "I answered placing the now-folded yellow top in my suitcase.

She replied with a sigh of defeat, as she knew I wouldn't give her a different answer before speaking, " is this about Tony?" She questioned finally.

I have been waiting for her to ask me that as I had a hunch you she thought that was the reason. "A little bit," I replied placing some shorts in the suitcase.

"You can't run away from your problems," she stated.

" I'm not running away. I just thought it would be best to go and have some fun, take my mind off him and school for a little while," I said.

"Ok, then when will you be back?" she wondered.

"Not sure, but I'll definitely be back before Uni starts next year," I told her.

"Send me postcards and pics on Insta?" She asked now sort of half smiling as if she was warming up to the idea of me leaving.

"Of course, " I said.

"I think you should take this too, in case you get cold, " she suggested holding up a white jumper.

" Good idea, " I agreed. "Put it in," I added as I continued to search for other items to take with me. Tara put the jumper inside the suitcase.

Later, after I had finished packing and checked to make sure I hadn't forgotten to pack anything Tara got ready to go home. We were now downstairs and she was still stood next to the front door.

"I'm going to miss you, " she said as she threw her arms around me and pull me tightly into a hug.

"I will miss you too," I replied hugging her back.

"Have fun," she said.

"I will, " I said and we stop talking.

"Bye, " she called as she left my house.