1

"I think I'm going to leave my hair like this for a while," Larissa brought up out of the blue as she and Chris danced. His right hand rested against the warmth of her hip, which was slightly softer than normal due to her current state, and his left enveloped her own small hand perfectly.

They were at a charity gala his parents had insisted on them attending with them, but for the life of him he could not currently remember what it was for, he was so wrapped up in the moment with Larissa.

"Yah?" he asked. She had gotten her hair colored a chestnut brown recently for a part in a tv movie. He had not-so-secretly dreaded the change, always making a face of feigned terror when she brought it up. It always made her laugh and roll her eyes. Chris loved her blonde hair, though. He couldn't imagine it any other way. He knew it was silly and a bit shallow, perhaps. But her hairstylist had actually done a great job and he was pleasantly surprised when she came home from having it done.

"Yah. What do you think?" she furrowed her eyebrows, questioningly, as she asked the question.

"I like it," he replied earnestly. She currently had it pulled back at the nape of her neck, secured with a wide, ivory-colored barrette. Her hair was so thick she had to use the largest one she could find to confine all of her still long hair. She had several inches of it cut off after the birth of their first daughter, Emily, but it still hung well past her shoulders. He suddenly found himself fighting the urge to run his hands through it.

"Do you really?" that same look on her face. He couldn't help the slightly amused grin forcing its way to his lips.

"Yes," he chuckled softly. "Besides, it's your hair. The most important thing is that you like it," he gave her a genuine smile as he lightly caressed the side of her face.

A comfortable quiet fell over them as they continued swaying to the music and staring into each other's eyes like love-struck teenagers. But they were no teenagers. Larissa's protruding belly was a welcome, ever-present reminder of their responsibilities now and how different their lives had become over the few short years they had been together.

A mischievous grin started forming on Larissa's face after a few minutes. He knew that look. He was making her self-conscious.

"What?" she finally asked with a subtle, twinkling laugh in her voice.

"Nothing," he shook his head slightly," smiling slyly himself. Chris eased his hand forward, resting it on the side of her swollen abdomen that pressed between them, his left hand squeezing hers tighter.

"I love you so much," he spoke quietly, deeply, bowing his head slightly, gently resting his forehead against hers. They continued gazing in each other's eyes for a long moment, not having a care in the world.

"I love you too," she whispered back smiling, lightly patting the side of his face.

"Ooh, prickly," she jerked her hand back playfully as they broke from their reverie. Chris laughed.

"Sorry. I meant to shave before we left, then someone distracted me," he apologized, implying their 1 year-old. Larissa chuckled.

"She's good at that," a smile formed on her lips. Chris could tell Larissa was thinking about her then, probably wondering how her evening with the babysitter went, whether she went to bed without any troubles, whether she cried.

"She's got you wrapped around her finger, you know?"

"I know," he drew out some, but smiled fondly. He still couldn't believe how instantaneous the love he felt for Emily had been. He never thought of himself as a dad. Up until the moment she came into the world he still struggled with the notion. But once he saw her little face and heard her first cries, he knew he would do anything in the world to protect her and make her happy.

"What are you going to do when there are two of them?" Larissa lowered her hand from his shoulder and placed it over his own, which was still resting protectively on her stomach. Chris sighed dramatically.

"I don't know," he paused for effect. "Hope to God the third one isn't a girl too?" They both laughed. Larissa's face quickly became serious, though.

"So you think you want another one after this one?" she looked up at him hopefully, lacing her fingers over his.

"Well, yah," he replied, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "Don't you?"

"Well, yah," she mimicked him. "I just..." she paused. "I didn'tknow how you would feel after having a couple." A silence fell over them for a minute, both lost in their own thoughts.

"I guess I figured the first two would be our trial kids," Larissa tried to lighten the mood.

"Trial kids?" Chris let out an amused, but incredulous laugh.

"Chris, I remember how weird you felt about being a dad. I just figured we would see how it went and make sure you weren't going to get...overwhelmed."

"Sweetheart, I would say something if I had any doubts. I had hoped you would know that by now."

"I know, I know," she placed her hand on his chest. "I'm just being neurotic."

"You're entitled to it," he smiled and kissed her tenderly on the lips.

"What are you two looking awfully serious about over here?" his father chimed in seconds later. Chris hadn't even noticed his parents walk over. That's the affect Larissa had on him and hoped it always stayed that way. The rest of the world literally melted away when he was with her. There could be bombs going off in the distance and he wouldn't notice. Well, that was probably untrue. If that were the case, he would be too worried about protecting her, and their children.