Chapter 8

Rodney carefully filled the roll with jelly and passed it to Teyla. Tam had set a tray of tea on the table as she had been speaking and Rodney poured some for Teyla and for John and for himself. Ronon shook his head when offered, as did Maddy, who kept taking sly sips of Ronon's ale when he pretended he wasn't looking.

"Where does Gard go?" John croaked. "When he's not here?"

"Through the Gate?" Ronon suggested.

"I do not think so," said Teyla. "He returns too quickly."

"I don't trust him," said Rodney. "He's not telling us everything. I bet he has a ship hidden away somewhere."

"He spoke of using the Stargate to travel between worlds," said Teyla, doubtfully.

"A small ship, then," continued Rodney.

"Maybe," said John. "What's happening about the grenza?"

Tam, overhearing, approached their table. "I wanted to talk to you about that," he said.

"Please, sit," said Teyla, gesturing to him to pull up a chair.

Tam sat down, sitting four-square and looking solid and dependable, his hands resting on his knees. "I've had a quick ride round to our nearest neighbours. Gethren, that's the farmer whose boundary wall you saw breached, says he wants to get a hunt together as soon as may be, which I can understand - he can't get his wall fixed with grenza breathing down his neck. So, word's gone out and if it spreads fast enough there may well be a meeting here this evening."

"We would like to begin trade negotiations," said Teyla. "Will that be possible?"

"I daresay it'll be on the agenda, so to speak," said Tam. "We have a fair few contracts already, but the farmers have the stock to supply more, that is if the grenza don't get 'em all."

"I want to go on the hunt," said Ronon.

"Because your first experience of helg-riding was such a success!" commented Rodney.

Tam grinned. "It sounds like that was Gethren's breeding sire you were trying to ride! You can expect some laughs at your expense tonight if the farmers show up." Ronon shuffled uncomfortably. "Mind you, there'll be a few drinks to be had if you make a good story of it!" Ronon visibly brightened. "Anyway, I'd better get back to work. We'll need to have a few barrels in reserve for the meeting. And you can ride Franca to the hunt, if you like," he said to Ronon. "That's my riding helg. She'll look after you!" He chortled his way back to the bar.

"We should go home if we can make an agreement tonight," said Rodney, looking at Boudicca. It would be hard to leave her, he knew.

"I'm going on the hunt" Ronon said firmly. "And kicking this Smeadon guy's ass would be good, too."

Rodney watched John, who was staring at the fire, his left hand holding his right arm just below his injury.

"Are you in pain, John?" asked Teyla.

John made that lop-sided grimace he did when he was trying to appear perfectly fine, but wasn't.

"Sheppard?" Rodney prompted.

"I'm fine," John said, stonily. "Just need to talk to Elizabeth about... stuff."