Chapter 1

"Ah, Maryse, my Maryse- it has been a long time." Maryse swallowed hard. "I'm not your Maryse anymore, Valentine." Valentine just looked amused and settled his gaze on Alec and Isabelle. "And your daughter looks just like you- as does my son." Alec frowned, could Valentine be referring to Jace? Had he returned? "Leave my children out of this, Valentine." Maryse said her tone sharp but with a hint of pain. "Oh but of course, after all, your son still believes Robert is his father." Valentine said smirking at Alec. Alec shivered visibly and looked to his mother for answers. "Now is not the time for this Valentine." Maryse said glaring at Valentine. 

Valentine laughed and vanished, appearing behind Alec causing him to jump. "Oh? But when will be the time? He is almost 18, or were planning on deceiving him for the rest of his life?" Valentine put a hand on Alec's shoulder and Alec paled, his heart was pounding out of his chest as Valentine leaned closer to him whispering in his ear. "Well let's get back to the reason I came here today." Valentine said and went back to the spot he was in before. "We were talking about the Mortal Instruments- I'm sorry did you just call Alexander Lightwood your son?" The inquisitor asked looking at Valentine. Valentine smirked. "I did, but let's save that topic for another time, right now we were discussing your terms, if I'm correct you said you had my son, Jonathon, and if I gave you the Mortal Instruments you'd release him and if I didn't you'd kill him, correct?" Valentine asked looking like he was reading something. 
"Kill him?" Isabelle echoed. "MOM!" "Isabelle." Maryse said. "Shut up." The Inquisitor shot Alec and Isabelle a glare before focusing her gaze on Valentine. "You have the terms correct." "Then my answer is no."

"No?" the inquisitor repeated before smirking at Alec. "You can not bluff me, and if Alexander truly is your son, then unless you want him to die as well I suggest you change your answer." She took out a stele and drew a mark on his wrists, watching with pleasure as Alec squirmed and winced at the rune. Just like with Jace, Alec's wrists were crossed over each other, bound by flames. "Imogen, leave my son out of this!" Maryse said glaring at the Inquisitor. "Why should I? His father is the reason so many are dead, why my son…" the inquisitor shook her head. "The law is absolute!" "So, this really is about Stephan." Maryse said softly. "This is about the law! And if we do not get the Mortal Instruments we will kill both your sons." The Inquisitor said looking at Valentine. "My answer is still no." Valentine said. "What?" the inquisitor said staring at Valentine. "My answer stays, I will not give up the Mortal Instruments for Jonathon or Alexander's life." Alec felt like Valentine had slapped him, he knew Valentine was insane, but he didn't even think when he said his answer. The inquisitor's eyes went from Alec to Valentine over and over. "But they're your sons." Her eyes stayed glued to Valentine. "Your children." "Children make their own choice, that's something you never understood. I offered Jonathon safety if he stayed with me, he spurned the idea. As for Alexander, his mother made him believe Robert was his son, I have no use for a child that doesn't realize his potential, or a child that chose family over power." Valentine said glaring at the Inquisitor. 

Isabelle had heard enough, she grabbed her brother's arm and started pulling him out of the room. "Alexander STAYS!" the inquisitor yelled glaring at Alec and Isabelle. Alec looked at his sister as if mentally telling her to stay with him.

 She frowned but nodded, and held his arm while keeping her gaze awkwardly on the scene around her. Valentine turned his eyes back to Alec who shook slightly; his blue eyes were to the floor. "Tell me Alexander; don't you want to save your family? Your friends? If you come with I will guarantee their safety as well as yours, come, let us fill the long gap between us." Valentine said holding his hand out toward Alec. 

Alec stared at the hand, he felt almost ashamed that it took him so long to come up with an answer, he wanted his family and friends to be safe, but he also wanted to kill this man, the man that supposedly was with his father. He looked down at his hands, if they were already treating him like a criminal… "I… don't know what to think anymore, but I know I will never go with you." Alec said glaring at Valentine. Valentine laughed. "An answer I expected to hear from you." Alec looked down, he felt confused and was scared as a result. 'If I had been raised by this man, would I have ended up like Jace? Like Valentine?' Alec thought with a frown. Valentine smirked at the look on Alec's face. "My son, don't be like that, it wasn't your fault you were raised by the Lightwoods," Valentine said before shooting a venomous glare at Maryse. "It was your mother's." Alec looked up, he couldn't believe what he was hearing, had Valentine really blamed his mother for everything? "The only thing my mother did wrong was join your Circle, you're the one that's done countless crimes, you're the one at fault here!" he yelled his blue eyes dark with anger. Valentine threw his head back while he laughed.