Chapter 8

Eventually, I woke up, but it didn't seem like a lot of time had passed. It was only midday, but I recognized nothing in the vicinity. The guy had dragged us a long way away from the cave, so there was little chance that we'd be making it back any time soon.

     Soon enough, Sina got up, slightly dizzy.

     "What happened?" She asked, stumbling a bit.

     "I don't know. Some kind of explosive flame?" I responded.

     "Yeah, that sounds about right." Sina said. "What have our lives become?"

     "Running. That is all."

     Liliana soon got up. "Anything happen while I was out?" She asked.

     "Light conversation." Sina and I answered.

     "Okay then." Liliana replied. "Where are the twins?"

     Sina and I looked around. Liliana had a point. Cyrus and Diana were missing. Where had they gone?

     "They went in that direction, right?" I asked, waving in the general direction I'd seen them run in.

     "I'll send some scouts." Liliana said. She raised her hands, but nothing happened. She tried it again, and still, nothing happened. "Great, nothing's died in this clearing." She muttered. "Now we've got to wait for Mr. Sleepyhead over there to wake up."

     I sat back down. "The twins can probably fend for themselves, right?" I asked.

     Sina shot me a look. "And how would they do that?" She asked. "Especially if there are more of that...thing."

     "That's a draconian." Seth said, propping himself up on an arm.

     "Well good for you, you know what it is." Sina said. "But do you know where the twins are?"

     "Somewhere over there." Seth replied, gesturing in about the same direction I did.

     "Great, you're up, let's go." Liliana said. She started off in that direction.

     "That seems unwise, but sure. Go ahead. Get yourself killed." Seth muttered, stumbling after her, clutching his head. He hadn't noticed that his bracelet was missing yet.

     Sina and I followed, though we weren't sure if there was anything on the way.

     It was a good while later, but eventually we found tracks. Seth knelt down and took a good long look at them.

     "This was them." He said. "Also, where's my bracelet? Who has it?"

     "I do." I answered, rather reluctant to take it off, but I began to unclasp it anyway.

     "Keep it." Seth said.

     I wasn't sure I'd heard him right. "Oh no, take it back."

     "No no, I have no use for it anymore. Besides, it'd help you more than it would help me."

     "Okay then. Thanks." I thanked, redoing the clasp.

     Seth didn't answer, instead following the trail farther into the woods.

     "Anyone know which wood we're in?" Sina asked. "The Far Lands or the Whispering Woods?"

     "No idea." Liliana replied. "Let's just hope it's not the Far Lands."

     I subconsciously shuddered. The Far Lands were rumored to be full of monsters and death, some things that I'd prefer not to face. The Whispering Woods, on the other hand, were creepy (whispering trees), but better to be in than the Far Lands.

     "Huh, that's weird." Seth commented.

     "What's weird?" Sina asked.

     "The tracks just...end." Seth trailed off. "With no signs of struggle."

     "What do you mean 'with no signs of struggle.' Something happened, can't you find out what?"

     Seth shook his head. "I can't. There's no blood, no extra footprints, nothing."

     I looked around subconsciously and saw no sign of Liliana. "Guys? Did you see Liliana anywhere?" I asked.

     Sina shook her head, prompting me to look at Seth. Or at least, look at where he was. A small rustle in the bushes, but that was all.i looked back at Sina, only to see her dragged into the bushes with a pair of orange talons covering her face. I prepared to run, but instead got pulled away to some unseen fate.