CHAPTER 14

Lock angrily threw a rock at a tree

Lock angrily threw a rock at a tree. He was cursing under his breath. He was furious with Skelly. He couldn't believe she'd kept that from him. How could she???

He walked out of the Enchanted Forest and stopped at the beach, kicking the sand and watching it fly in the wind.

"Poor, poor Lock," a voice chuckled coldly. "I knew for a fact that your love wouldn't last."

Lock spun around and immediately fell to the ground, shaking like crazy. Oogie Boogie tossed his die in the air and laughed insanely.

"So tell me, Lock," he said. "How mad are you?"

Lock shook his head, unable to speak. The last time he saw Oogie Boogie... And the first...

His devil's tail started hurting, but he didn't care. He was used to it.

"You wanna work for me again?" Oogie Boogie asked.

Lock stared at Oogie Boogie. For some reason, he couldn't take his eyes off him.

"I'll make you a deal," Oogie Boogie bribed.

"I may have come from a broken home," Lock said, finally finding strength to stand and finding his voice, "but that doesn't mean I'm stupid. You never play fair. I know that. You'll claim that I can be free from your grasp if I win, but then you'll throw my side out the window. You've done it multiple times."

"You're right!" Oogie Boogie laughed.

"So, I don't have an option," Lock replied. "So, yes. I will work for you again."

"Good!" Oogie Boogie said. "Shock and Barrel are back at base. So you'll be coming home."

"What about--well, never mind," Lock replied.

Oogie Boogie turned and started walking back through the Enchanted Forest, and Lock followed. They walked for miles and miles, and Lock wished he hadn't taken that limo for granted. But he didn't dare complain.

"Remember when you said I've played that trick I was going to play on you before?" Oogie Boogie asked, breaking the silence that had lasted for two days straight now.

Lock yawned, then said, "Of course I do. I mean, I was the one that said it."

"I've done it to Shock too!" Oogie Boogie laughed.

Lock was hit with the element of surprise. Shock? Shock had been tricked with the same thing? That was surprising. He was older than her, but she was a leader.

And so was Skelly...

Why are you thinking about Skelly, stupid?? She's behind you now, he thought.

Little did the both of them know, there was a shadow watching in the trees. Little did the both of them know that she heard every word. Little did the both of them know that she was trying to figure out Oogie Boogie's plan. Little did the both of them know...