Chapter 2 : Careers and Opportunities

Amber's POV

I woke up to the sound of my Pikachu alarm vibrating against my beside table drenched in the warmth of cuddling Mr. Bread in my arms with soft hugs from my comforter. While groggily squinting with furrowed eyebrows trying to contemplate where I was at the moment, I glanced around my overly crowded bedroom and jumped up, finding space to walk around my music supplies. I had a computer system for recording my written songs and a guitar lying by the table, whom my parents and friends gave to me during my birthday. So far I am majoring in music and sports in school, hoping to choose amongst those top subjects as my career path. I'd really appreciate it if my parents would support me throughout this and I'll make the effort to make them proud.

I grab every piece of necessity I needed to get ready for the day and arranged my short blonde hair into a particular hairstyle to look chic and swag. I wore a printed white t-shirt paired with navy knee-length shorts and white converse, considering the weather looked a lot more hotter than expected. Carrying a board in one hand, I headed downstairs to hear heavy swearing coming from the kitchen.

"Min must be home" I thought.

I texted Kris to be on my way and Min glanced at me with a questioning look.

Min-young is none other than my zombie best friend whom is a year older than I am, currently working at a nearby cafe just by the corner in the end of the block. This loud, overly energetic girl is crazier than you think. I've known her since we were neighbours back in my old hometown and I consider her part of my family. She tends to move different jobs frequently and earns for a living since she chose to kick herself out of their house after graduation. And I insisted for her to stay at my house at the time being, yet she refused in the circumstance of learning to become an independent person. I told my parents about her situation and I still check up on her at times, telling her she's always welcome at my place.

Quickly avoiding the awkward gaze, I headed for the kitchen to grab something to drink. I poured myself a glass of milk and asked her, " Why are you looking at me like that?" Thinking she knows something that I don't.

"Cuz I have news that you'd definitely like." She smirked while leaning against the counter.

"Is this relevant? I have to leave and train probably in five minutes. I have a game this afternoon." I was still curious as what she has to say though.

"Wae? More like flirt with Kris for an hour." She sarcastically joked.

"I'm serious, so if it's not that important then I'm going." I grabbed her baked cookies and stuffed them clumsily in my mouth.

"Oi, do you remember the last time we went to the mall and they were holding K-pop auditions, like scouting talented people in malls or something?"

I nodded interestedly.

"Well, they're holding another one in California. And regardless of the language barrier, you should totally enter. I knew you always liked K-pop since two years ago and it's been your dream to make songs and be a singer. So, what do you think?" She explained quite excitedly.

"I heard they're giving a record label to the two winners and sent them off to Korea to become trainees. It's quite an offer, Am."

I stared at the floor, thinking it would be worth a try auditioning even though I personally have no experience whatsoever performing and have this extensive fear of pressure when singing in front of judges. I was fairly convinced by my best friend whom looks like she's more keen to join than I do by the looks of her weird face, but it doesn't hurt to take a shot though. Who knows? Maybe I'll be one of the top two to make the cut out of a thousand others.

"Do you think I have the chance?" I doubted.

"Heck yeah! That isn't even a question. You're talented Am, and if they can't see that then they made a huge mistake." She tried to be optimistic.

I glanced at the time and realised I still have practice. So I bid my goodbye to Min and ran off to the door, the opportunity still present in my mind. I texted Min to give me more details about it and rode my skateboard to the bus stop.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

It was our break after forty-five minutes of pure agonising pain. My breathing have now finally set into a steady pace as I try and gather air into my lungs, taking my inhaler to get myself back to normal. I've had asthma for quite a long time now, since I was twelve. My parents forced me into taking medication because of an incident where I almost collapsed in one of the games when I couldn't properly concentrate in the court with my chest feeling tighter as I tried to move. Not until a year after I finally got the handle of my condition and regularly limit my exercise, not too excessively and heavily. And the inhaler helped me to get better and stay healthy at the same time.

"Hey Am, are you sure you're okay? You look a little pale." Kris said concerned by my sudden change of behaviour.

"I'm sure I will be soon, but I've got a question?" I asked.

"How does it feel to perform in a big crowd with millions of people watching you in TV and live in the audience judging your voice, song and dance like this is your only chance to become successful in life?"

"Um... I don't know what to say to that, but people don't look at you personally. In my opinion, I'm an open minded person and don't really judge by the outer appearance. I only see the talent that is willing to be shown and what the person is capable of doing. It's just a matter of their choice to make a change and if it doesn't resonate them, then its how much they're determined to become one that enables them to be successful."

I just stared at him, surprised of how much he knew more than I could think. I didn't expect a reasonable answer coming from him and thought he'd even make fun of my pointless question. I don't think I've ever seen this side of him before. Talking with intelligence and the fact that he doesn't really talk without making me have to throw up by his egotistic self or laugh at how contagious his joke is being. It just amazes me how he can be straight up serious at times and completely a stupid egg-head afterwards.

"But how would I know? I've never understood those kind of people who try to conform, even when they don't fit in." He further on explained.

"Why'd you ask?" His curiousness was evident by his features.

"Min told me about this audition that I have been wanting to go and I don't think I'm good enough for their standards."

"Go for it. No one is holding you back in this. It's still your first time, so better start now and learn from it, rather than regret not doing anything and losing a big opportunity. It's either one or the other, which one would you prefer?" He patted my back twice and we both stood up to continue the game.

"He does have a point. The only problem is now, how do I prove to them that I am worth it?"

____________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N:

Sorry for the short chapter, this is just a fill up for my plot. It's still unedited so bear with the grammar mistakes and wrong spelling. Hope you guys enjoy and please vote and comment. Thank you! 

Saranghae~ <33