How it happened that everything changed

Mother died in Tibet during an extended vacation over there with father. I never got to say goodbye.

According to father she became increasingly fatigued and had frequent headaches and dizzy spells. The local doctor could not explain what was wrong with her; at first everyone thought it must be the difference in climate, but she became progressively worse and two weeks later, just like that, she was gone.

I think father hid from me how ill she really was and I don't blame him. I was on the other side of the world; what good would it have done to know that when there was nothing I could do to help make her well?

We held a memorial at the house for some of our family and close friends, but father seemed uneasy. I think he blamed himself for mother's illness and ultimately for her untimely death. Sometimes I think he is getting passed that; it has been nearly three years now, but I know from experience that the pain will never fully be gone. Since her death he has also become increasingly protective of me, it is only recently that I was even able to attend school, but still he will not let my classmates into our home.
Is it selfish of me to hope for my own sake that he can return to the way he was? That just for once when he looks at me he'd smile? That I can be his son again, not just Emilé's child.