Chapter: 1

Irene's POV

Ten months... it took me ten months to gain the courage to visit the place which meant everything to me. The place which held all my beautiful memories... the place which brought me to him.

When I moved there with Mom and Dad I never knew, a boy with dirty blonde hair and green eyes who accidentally ran into me will become my everything one day. Only to leave me with nothing.

The strap of my bag slips from my shoulder and lands on the gravel road when I am about to step onto the bus. Sighing, I bend down to pick up my bag, but another hand already beats it to me.

Raising my head, my eyes lock with the familiar pair of green eyes.

Shock is evident on both of our faces. Not once I have thought today will be the day where I will see him after almost one year... the day when I am at my weakest point.

The last memory which I have of him, is of the last year, him signing off the divorce papers... putting an end to our happily ever after.

"Hi," Clearing his throat, he speaks.

His deep voice brings back all the memories which I have kept buried in my heart for the last year.

"Hey," I reply, tearing my gaze away from him.

"How are you?" He asks.

"Good." I nod.

"Going home for Thanksgiving?" He let out a small forced chuckle, trying to make small talk.

Home? Where is home? The studio apartment where I have been living alone for the past year or the empty house that is waiting for me in the small town which used to be my home...Maybe I am still trying to figure where the home is.

"No, going there to attend some unfinished business," I say impassively, locking down my every emotion which comes alive when I think about how within few months my life completely turned upside down.

Not wanting to divulge anything more than I have said, I climb inside the bus without looking back at him.

He follows me inside the bus and takes his seat across the aisle a few seats away from mine.

I can sense him stealing glances in my direction but never once I look at him.

I can't blame him for the divorce, we both were at fault. But still, it hurts to know he never decided to give us a chance to work on our differences. Our relation took a backseat for him as his work became a priority. I never wanted him to choose between his work and me because I know how much struggles he had faced reaching the position where he is now. But I also have a limit. When my love started to suffocate him, I realized there is nothing left for me to fight for. Gradually, the relation that once we cherished turned into a burden for both of us.

***************************************************

Thank you for reading. If you like this chapter then, please don't forget to vote, comment, or share.

If you want to get earlier access to the complete story please click on my Inkitt's link available on my profile or just click this link to read this story on Inkitt. 👉