Trouble In Paradise (A Quick Story from an Iceberg Writing Prompt)

As they walked to class, hand in hand, Sarah's mind raced.

"We can't do this anymore, John," she stated.

"What do you mean, Sarah? Of course we should!" Her hand jerked away from his, but he held on tighter.

" I mean should we really continue to do this?"

"Of course we should! We still have so much fun, we have our whole lives ahead of us! Together!" Their voices gradually grew louder, and people began to stare.

"But," she paused, trying to take her voice down. "We're going different places, and we're going to be so far. How do I know that it's still going to be functional?"

"You don't, but really I do. Come on, Sarah, this is what we've been building up to!"

"No, John, I don't think so. It's such a big change!

"It's really not that big, and it's not very long!"

"Oh god that's what she said!" she exclaimed as she broke out into laughter.

His hand finally jerked away from hers. He put his hands on her arms, and looked deeply into her eyes.

"You can't continue to run from it, Sarah. It's senior year, and our lives aren't a joke."

She ignored him entirely, and pretended none of it happened. "Let's just go to lunch."