Barcelona

As the plane touched back down, Hettie felt herself jolt awake as her eyes flickered open rapidly. Next to her, Luca was watching with a look of amusement on his face, his blue eyes dancing as her face broke into a smile.

   "You slept for five hours," he laughed, "I don't know how you managed that."

   "I've always been a good sleeper," Hettie replied, with a small grin, "I used to close my eyes, cover my ears and pretend I was asleep to avoid sticky situations."

   "Sounds legitimate," Luca beamed, standing up, slinging his backpack over his shoulder. Beside him, Ian gathered his case, and Hettie her tatty old backpack, now filled with budget clothes bought in Paris.

   "You did remember you t-shirt, right?" Luca asked Ian, his face excited.

   "Of course," Ian rolled his eyes stiffly. "But Henrietta doesn't have-"

   "Hettie," she interruped sharply, "You don't have to make it so obvious that you hate me."

   Ian shrugged. "Well, you don't seem to get the hint."

   "I get the hint, alright," Hettie snapped, "I just chose to ignore it. Don't you think I've dealt with enough hate in my life? Of course you wouldn't-"

   "SHUT UP!" the outbreak from Luca stunned both his comrades. Glaring at the pair of them, he shuffled down the aisle apologetically. "Ian, Hettie doesn't support Barcelona. Hettie, Ian can't help that he's not a people person. Can't you just try and get on? For my sake?"

   Hettie shrugged. "I do try."

   Ian scowled. "I don't want to try."

   "Well, that's great then," Luca sighed, picking up the pace as he went to collect their lonesome suitcase. "Just brilliant. We're arriving in Barcelona, something you've been on about for ages, Ian, with tickets for their next game - which weren't cheap - and you're trying to spoil everything just because I chose to do a charitable deed."

   "I'm a charitable deed, am I?" Hettie growled before Ian could get a word in. "I see."

   The two boys stood and stared whilst she stormed off, long legs marching angrily across the airport, until she was outside, turning back in annoyance.

   "She's messed up," Ian stated.

   Luca shook his head. "I know. But I think I'm in love with her anyway."

   "In love? After a few weeks? Deluded, more like," Ian rolled his eyes, before speeding up until he was in step with Hettie.

   When Hettie turned, she caught her breath, Next to her Ian paced, his jaw set moodily, brown eyes glazed over, blond hair ruffled... and somehow, beautiful. Hettie shook herself. Ian hated her, after all, and she him, right?

    "What do you want?" she drawled

   "How long are you gonna trail along with us?" Ian asked, cutting to the point.

   "Trail along?" Hettie raised an eyebrow. "I call it travelling."

   "Whatever," Ian scowled, "how long?"

   At this, Hettie almost laughed. Then, more seriously she stared at Ian's genuinely concerned face. "Until we're back in London. Like it, or lump it."

~*~*~*~

   "COM'ON!" Luca shouted, "SCORE ALREADY!"

   "YEAH!" Ian added, "GO FOR IT, NOW, COM'ON!"

   Next to Luca, Hettie longed to join in. It wasn't that she was shy; she couldn't care less. Nor was it that her shrill voice would hang over the crowd. The truth was, the last time she'd truly let go, had fun and just been herself hadn't exactly ended well. For this reason, she pinched her mouth shut.

   "They're gonna win, I can see it," Luca smiled, his eyes alive.

   "I'm a bit sceptical, actually," Ian pulled a face. "The way they're playing. But they better win."

   "These tickets cost it," Luca laughed, turning to Hettie. "What do you think?"

   Hettie shrugged. "Just a big bunch of boys, to me."

   "Waste of a ticket," ian quipped.

   "But yeah, I think Barcelona have got this, See the guy on the left wing? Watch that space," Hettie added, letting herself go a little.

   Neither Ian nor Luca failed to look impressed at this point. "Messi," Ian smiled, "Well, of course."

   "But seriously, he's on form today. Don't think much of the right wing, I have to say," Hettie said, turning back to the game. "NOW, IT'S YOUR CHANCE, NOW!"

   And it was a chance. As Hettie predicted, Messi took some crazy kick, flinging the ball across the pitch, straight onto one of the attackers heads where it smashed into the goal.

   "SCORE!" Luca shreiked joyfully, turning to Hettie and engulfing her into a massive, bear hug.

   "Get in there!" Ian punched the air, swamping both Hettie and Luca with a hug so genuine Hettie thought she might be dreaming.

   "What did I tell you?" she asked with a smile, when the celebrations ended intially.

   "You're so clever," Luca smiled, ruffling Hettie's shoulder somewhat patronisingly. "What would we do without you?"

   Hettie giggled, "Ian would be a lot happier."

   "Not true!" Ian objected a little too quickly. "Well, actually, sort of, you know, in a way."

   Hettie raised an eyebrow. "I never thought I'd make friends over football."

   Ian smiled back at her. "I never thought I'd be tailed round Europe by a homeless seventeen-year-old with potential physic abilities."

   Luca grinned proudly. "I never thought I'd see the day when my friends united!"

   Hettie just gave a sceptical nod and raised her eyebrows towards Ian. "Don't speak too soon."