The TITLE(Dun Dun Dun)

Part 1: The Title:

If your title doesn't draw in readers, that's fine. Nut there are ways to make your title something that can't be ignored.

A unique title captures the essence of the book, stakes out new territory in the arms race of book naming, and provokes curiosity. Upon reading or hearing it, a person should get an idea of what your book is about without entirely knowing what's inside. It is something that sparks a question for the reader, like 'how does this title come into play?' or 'what world is this?'

Don't use identical titles. If you want your story to be remembered, don't name it similar to anything else. It can be surprising, funny, clever, poetic, intriguing, it makes the reader think, or whimsical. It does have to be unique & tie in with your story though.

Tucker Max has sold over 5 million books as a 4x NYT Bestselling Author and is the co-founder of Scribe. He actually posted an article about this. () He states the 5 attributes of a good title, "Attention Grabbing, Memorable, Informative (Gives an Idea of What The Book is About), Easy To Say, & Not Embarrassing or Problematic For Someone To Say It."

He also gives specific steps to find the perfect book title. Step 1: Get Clarity On Your Book Goals. Step 2: Brainstorm Several Potential Titles. Step 3: Make Sure This Title Is Not Already Popular. Step 4: Pick Your Favorites & Test Them. Test #1: Imagine People Saying The Title. Test #2: See What People Click On.

Tucker claims that your book title is the most important marketing decision you'll make. He has good reason because readers look at the title of a book before anything. It also creates the layout of your story.

The 5 attributes of a good title are simple to hear, but harder to understand & do.

For attention grabbing, you need to understand that you aren't the only writer/interest in the possible reader's mind. Luckily, there is an infinite amount of ways to grab a reader's attention. If you make the right title, you will stand out and make that important first impression. He offers suggestions on how to grab a reader's attention. In case, you can be provocative, controversial, exciting, make a promise, etc. The point is your title should make people stop and pay attention to it.

If a book is memorable, you will never forget the title. A title that stays in your head is one you want to share. So, when a friend asks for a recommendation, you go to this most memorable book you have read. You also want to inform your readers what the story is about, without too much detail.