Chapter One (Kino)

It was really nice living in Aloo, thought Kino. It had its cold side, but Kino never really knew any different. His nose tinkled in the frosty wind.

There was one grand rule in the Vale, that each person had to abide by. No trespassing into other cities land. Which was pretty easy since there were gigantic, elegant, stone walls dividing them. If you're from Aloo - Like Kino - then you stayed in Aloo. No changing. No running away. This was the law. And it created peace among the Vale.

Kino knew that, but he still wondered what is was like in Shale, and Kella, and so did all the people of Aloo. Kino was the Prince of Aloo, his mother, Inka, was the Queen. And his Father, Kichu, was the King.

The city of Aloo was a shimmering city of ice, water, and snow. All crystallized and gorgeous. It had always been like this for all they knew, and all the people of Aloo loved it. The view was nice, he could see all of Aloo from the third floor. The palace was elegant with velvet carpets leading down hallways and into many rooms. It was huge, with countless bedrooms, and dining rooms, Kino almost got lost himself sometimes.

He lay on his bed waiting for dinner to be ready. He knew his father would come in the room soon looking for Kino and asking him to attend the Triadd. It was the time of year.

An event held every year. Each city brings forth one person to attend. For all of Kino's life it had been his father, but this year He felt his father would press at him getting to go. The three people meet at the Apiary, a room in the middle of the three lands that connected them all. Though it was only opened once a year, the day of the Triadd.

He thought he wasn't wise enough for the Triadd. It was custom to send a younger boy or girl to the Triadd, to show that the young ones were just as wise as the elder ones. The three people that attend the Triadds are usually royalty, and Kino turned sixteen the month before. Which meant he was perfect.

When his father, Kichu, came barging into the bedroom with his chin held high, he had great news for Kino. "Kino, dinner is ready, son." Said Kichu. "And I came to talk to go about something very important, the Triadd, would you like to represent Aloo this year?"

Kino wasn't that surprised, as he expected his father would choose him someday. "Ummm, well dad," Kino couldn't say no. "Sure I'd love to represent Aloo."

Being cooped up in Aloo's castle wasn't as fun as it seemed. Hours, and hours, being cooped up, Kino had a few hobbies, he loved pranking the place guards, and day dreaming, not to mention his hand to hand combat lessons.

He had no friends, in fact, he had never had friends. 

Being royalty wasn't as fun as it sounded with all of the perks in came with, it just wasn't for Kino.

Kino took a deep breath, and then swallowed. He could taste something in his mouth, sour even, and that's when he said, "I think I might actually love a day away from the City, thank you, Father," said Kino.

"Well get ready son, don't forget about dinner." His father took a deep breath as to say something. And then walked towards the door and closed it behind him.

 Kino decided to take a quick nap before dinner.

A few moments later, - which felt like a few minutes  to Kino since he was sleeping, - one of the Palace servants came in the room to get Kino for dinner. Kino woke up with a startle. "Master Kino, your dinner is ready sir." 

Kino laid there for a few moments. "Thank you." He said, "I will be down in a a few moments," 

A few moments later, as Kino was thinking about the Triadd, he decided to head down to the second floor to catch dinner, while it lasted.