Holy

Bev woke with a start, immediately aware of her surroundings. She couldn't remember falling asleep but was thankful she wasn't disturbed. Distorted images of last night flashed through her mind, stolen kisses, broken bottles, dancing with...Bill? No, it was one of the new kids, Ben. Yes... Ben. Licking her lips, she realised how dry and chapped they felt. She reached out to grab a glass of water off the coffee table, nearly falling off the couch in the process. Taking a long sip, and steadying herself before swallowing harshly, she scrunched up her face. Vodka. She let out a deep breath, and shuddered, adjusting to the bitter taste left in her mouth. She was all too aware of how her fingers itched for a cigarette.

From the pale light that had weaved its way through the flimsy lace curtains, she could tell it was around 6am. She stood and immediately felt lightheaded. Grabbing her cargo jacket from the floor where it was abandoned last night, she slipped her hand into the right pocket to find her pack of marlboros and trusty orange 'Derry' lighter. She slipped the packet open, fingers trembling slightly. Six cigarettes lay against the white cardboard like a police lineup. 'I swear I had seven last night. What the fuck?' she remarked to herself. She tried to think back, puzzled, before she stopped. 'Richie.'

Sure enough, there he was.

'Stealing is a sin, you know that, Trashmouth?' The early morning chill bit into Bev's bones as she balanced a cigarette between her lips using one hand to cover it as she tried to get a spark.

Richie parted his lips allowing a breath of smoke to mingle with the crisp air. 'God just wishes he had the pleasure of smiting this ass, baby'

Bev nudged him with her leg, earning a laugh, before sitting down beside him on the porch.

'Well what's got you up so early?' she smiled, wrapping her jacket around herself tighter.

Richie opened his mouth to speak but was swiftly cut off.

'And do not say morning wood, I will beat your ass.'

Richie gasped. 'I'm shocked you think so lowly of me. But also how well you know me.'

Bev let out a deep sign which made both of them giggle.

'Got a certain brunette shortie on your mind, huh?'

'I'm sure I don't know what you're referring to, Miss Marsh.'

'You're blushing, Rich.'

'Only cause I'm thinking bout your mom.'

To Richie's pleasure, she rolled her eyes.

'Seriously though, Chee. I saw you two eye-fucking each other all last night. And don't get me wrong it's cute that you've found someone else to put your dick in other than your pillow.' She laughed. Richie scowled. 'But just be careful alright? You know they're only here for the next few weeks. Don't go falling in love on me or anything.'

'Love? Ew, gross.' Richie laughed, flicking his cigarette and crushing it with the tip of his shoe. Maybe it wasn't love just yet. And as much as he wished it weren't true he had spent the past hour out there trying to shake the image of a certain boy with big brown puppy dog eyes and freckles like the milky way out of his head.

'Mmm sure, Romeo Tozier,' Bev passed him another cigarette which he took graciously between his lips, leaning in, allowing her to light it. They sat there, watching over their own little kingdom of viridescent hills and valleys, and the mist over the quiet lake, talking about anything and everything, (they didn't call him Trashmouth for nothing), until the sky blossomed blue.

The loud thumps echoed throughout the cabin and ripped Eddie from his peaceful slumber. He rolled over, pulling a pillow over his head, in an attempt to ignore the noise and cling onto the particles of dreams that still floated around his head. The early morning sun forced its way through the curtains and set the room alglow with beams of pure gold. The thumping didn't stop. In fact, it got louder. Eddie groaned, bringing a hand to rub his sleep filled eyes. He reluctantly gathered the energy to roll out of bed, the oak floor cold to the touch. He followed the irritating sound and dragged his feet towards the door. One last harsh thump and Eddie turned the key in the lock and pushed on the handle. There before him loomed a tall figure, hair a mess, eyes bloodshot.