The Way He Looks

"Well, before the bell rings, shall we meet our new student? Geoff, would you like to introduce yourself?"

"Oh, um - I don't think that's necessary," Geoff dismissed awkwardly.

"Of course it is," the teacher smiled. "Come here."

Geoff stood up and walked to the front of the room. He'd never been the new kid before, and he had no idea what to say. He tucked his hands into his pockets and settled on, "Um, hi... my name's Geoff."

"Hiiii, Geoff," everyone chorused.

"I just moved to Houston from California-" Something came flying at him, and he flinched.

The class laughed.

"What happened?" Jawn whispered to his best friend Daphne.

Daphne leaned over to him. "Cody just threw a paper ball at Geoff," she explained disapprovingly.

The bell rang before anyone could say anything else.

"Well," the teacher said brightly, "you'll have plenty of time to get to know each other, okay?"

Everyone got up and left, and soon Daphne, Jawn, and the new boy Geoff were the only people left in the room. Once Daphne finished packing up her bag, she zipped Jawn's shut for him. "Alright, you ready? Let's go."

Jawn reached up and felt around for a moment, searching for her elbow. Once he found it, he stood up. They walked to the doorway, but Daphne felt guilty leaving the new boy all alone.

"Is your house up or down the street?" she asked.

Geoff looked over hopefully, glad someone was talking to him. "Down."

"Do you want to come with us?"

"Sure," Geoff smiled. He shouldered his bag and jogged to the doorway.

"Keys," Daphne said to Jawn as they got to his house.

Jawn dutifully reached in his pocket for them and handed them over. Daphne unlocked the door and passed them back to him. "See you tomorrow!"

"Bye, Daphne. Bye, Geoff. It was nice to meet you." Jawn stuck his hand straight out since he wasn't sure exactly where his new friend was standing.

"Bye," Geoff replied, giving Jawn's hand a shake. "Nice to meet you, too."

Once he was inside, Daphne turned to Geoff. "Well, bye to you, too," she smiled.

"Aren't you coming this way?" Geoff asked.

"No. I live two blocks back, but I always walk Jawn home."

"Oh," Geoff replied. "Well, see you tomorrow, then."

"See you!"

Daphne turned around, and Geoff continued on.

Daphne and Jawn sat back to back under a tree during break.

"I'm telling you, Michaela was totally staring at you during the test," Daphne gushed. "She was the last one to leave the room."

"You know I'm not interested in her, right?"

"You're never interested in anyone," Daphne complained. "Or at least, you don't tell me if you are. I'm your best friend – I should know these things. I always tell you about the boys I like."

"It's been a while since your last crush," Jawn realized. "Not since Topher, right?"

"Ugh, don't remind me," Daphne grumbled.