Chapter Sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CALEB JOHNSON BROUGHT the steaming mug of coffee to his lips, prepared to take a sip when one of the many receptionists at the police station entered his office. It was Trisha Dawson, if he was remembering correctly. There were too many receptionists in one building for him to keep track of.

"Deputy," She said and he took notice that her voice sounded different, shaky even. It was like she was afraid. "Someone's asking for you. Says they want to speak with you regarding the homicide at the Cage."

Who could it possibly be? He thought that maybe it was Jade considering he hadn't seen her since they looked back over the crime scene at the Cage when the forensics team found a wolf claw. Right after they had finished she took off and Caleb hadn't seen her since. He figured it had to do with confronting the Lockhart's who she was damn sure were lycanthropes. Had they hurt her? Killed her, even?

He set down his mug, angry that he hadn't had the chance to drink any of it. It'd been a sluggish morning commute and the station wasn't too hectic, either. "Who is it?" His question was a demand, but it wasn't said in such a manner

"He didn't mention a name, just said that someone he knew owned the Cage. And he wanted to know how the investigation was going," Trisha replied. "Considering the Cage is owned by Pietro Lockhart, I'd say he's his son. Just a guess."

Pietro had two sons and a daughter from what Jade had mentioned to him. And he'd seen one of his sons when he questioned him at his mansion the day after the incident. Unfortunately,though Jade had never indicated what their names were. So, which one of Pietro's lycanthrope sons was he about to deal with?

It occurred to Caleb that if one of the Lockhart's were here now then that meant they knew of his involvement in Jade's looking into them. Which also ultimately meant he was screwed.

"Alright, let him in," Caleb finally said. "I'll talk with him."

Trisha nodded and left his office to inform his visitor of the news. Not even a moment later and a man entered the room. Said man was tall, had a muscular build, and his eyes were the color of chestnuts. His hair was dark brown and slicked back. He was dressed in a loose fitting navy blue v-neck t-shirt, denim jeans, and brown boots accompanied his feet. Caleb recognized him as the son he spoke to after the Cage incident. The Lockhart shut the door behind him then sat down in the chair in front of Caleb's desk.

"So, you're the one who's working with Jade?" He asked. When Caleb didn't answer, he spoke again. "I'm Oakland Lockhart, by the way. I think we have some things to discuss."

Oakland was staring at him, the officer with mutton chops

Oakland was staring at him, the officer with mutton chops. The one who was working with the hunter. The name tag on his uniform read Johnson, but Oakland figured he'd learn his first name soon. Johnson had dark hair to match his mutton chops and his eyes were a crystal blue. He wasn't a skinny man, but he wasn't fat either. He was somewhere in between. Average. His glock was strapped comfortably to his hip, close enough for him to reach and point at Oakland, but Oakland doubted he had any wolfsbane bullets. Jade was the hunter, the officer was just the help.