Journal of Pope Benedict XVI

I would like to say that not all of this was my own thoughts, most of this came from research on my topic. Towards the end though, I made up lots of stuff like dates and different problems.

May 23, 2012

I can't believe it. They have finally found the person responsible for stealing and leaking private documents, and it turned out to be my butler and friend, Paolo Gabriele. How could he steal this sort of information right off my desk, then continue to act as though he has done nothing wrong?

They have searched his apartment, and have found his walk-in closet filled with files and papers marked to be destroyed. He stole them from my desk or copied them, right in front of everyone here.

There was also a check for 10,000 pounds made out from the pope found in his possession, along with a rare old book, and a golden nugget. The book he could have taken from any number of shelves throughout the cathedral, but gold? We don't keep gold around here, and it couldn't have come from my office. The check could have, but it wasn't made out to anyone, which seems strange to me. Why on earth did he have these things? Was he stealing or searching? I don't know what to believe in anymore.

June 18, 2012

Paolo's lawyers comment on how he "did everything out of love for the church and the pope" and "with good faith" and "a desire to help". How did this help me? How did this show love for me or the church? They never said how, or in what way. Or even what Paolo thought was wrong.

I was told I can intervene at any time, and that I'm allowed to do anything from condemning him for his crimes, to pardoning him for what he has done. Is it truly just for me to decide his fate? He is a dear friend to me, and I desperately want to believe that he has done nothing out of malice or mis-intent. But what if it was an act out of anger? Should he be forgiven for something of this scale anyways? This has been the focus of my prayers for many days now.

September 29, 2012

The trial starts today, and I have still not put any stops to it. The Cardinals have given me back a report on their findings, and it appears that Paolo is guilty. Yet he continues to plead innocent. I am deeply confused as to why he keeps lying about his sin. Perhaps he is afraid of what I would do, and this troubles me greatly. Am I feared by those I love? Does he see me not as his Pope and friend, but as his jailer?

October 6, 2012

He has been found guilty. He has confessed to using the copier, that is just down the hall from this office, to make personal copies of private documents. He said he did it to reveal corruption in the Vatican, and he was feeling that I was being manipulated. Paolo should have come to me with his thoughts! I could have done something about them! Together, perhaps we could have gotten to the bottom of this. Or found out if there even was a problem to start with! I will have to look into this.

October 12, 2012

I have been searching for any clue as to me being controlled, but I cannot fathom one. It does not seem possible that my choices are not my own, or the wrong ones. All of them point towards what I think is a better future. Maybe I'm overlooking something important, or maybe I just don't know what's good for my people.

October 26, 2012

I cannot keep this to myself. I have to tell the cardinals to look into this with me, for I cannot find any possibilities! I am beginning to doubt my old friend. How could he have done something like this to me? Did he make it all up hoping I would keep him out of prison?

November 4, 2012

I have just sent the letter to get Paolo Gabriele out of prison and back into my office, along with a several letters to various law enforcement.

There was a file Paolo hadn't taken yet, but was probably next on his list. It is about the money that I had approved to go to children and their education. Only it wasn't going there. My bankers made it look as though different amounts of money were going to different places, when really only about two thirds were actually being sent out. The rest has been directed to their own private offshore accounts, and other high-end officers and officials. Probably to keep them from bringing this scam to the surface.

I feel so ashamed that I didn't believe Paolo, and I know that I should have had more faith in him. I would have never known about this if he hadn't been stealing documents. He was trying to do the right thing, even if he went about it the wrong way.

November 8, 2012

Today I welcomed Mr. Gabriele back, and begged for him to forgive me. I was shocked as he embraced me, telling me that I will always have his loyalty. It nearly moved me to tears, and I have come to realize how much I enjoy his company, and how much I have missed him over the past few months.

November 11, 2012

Using the information I gave to them, the police have arrested the people involved in this terrible act, and everything around here has returned to normal. It occurs to me how much Paolo does around here to keep things running. I hope someday I can repay him for not having belief in his motives.